𝟏𝟒 - Hunger Is A Strong Motivator

♐︎ Sylvaine ♐︎
Despite my shivering attempts to move away from the freezing water continues to pelt me relentlessly. Trapped, confined to a wooden pole in a dingy damp room deep beneath the palace, my wrists bound too tightly to allow any freedom of movement. Even though the growling and intimidation, the handmaidens remains completely indifferent as she diligently scrubs away the dirt and dried blood from my back and sides.

Drifting my sights to the right, my eyes falling upon the vampire known as Corvina. She stands at a distance, silently surveying me with an inscrutable expression. Resting casually against a wooden support beam, patiently awaiting for the handmaidens to finish up their tasks. "Can't believe I have to be stuck with a mutt like you." The handmaidens seemed to sense the tension between Corvina and me grow, because they quickly move aside as she approaches. Now standing just a foot away, her sneering expression even more pronounced. "I have better things I could occupy my valuable time on." Her eyes boring into mine. Despite the aching pain in my feet, I refused to back down. Staring back at her, my eyes burning with anger and defiance, but it didn't last long.

Gulping when her cold hand grabs a hold of my jaw, her grip like an iron vice. Attempting to pull away, but her hold was too strong. "You will not cause me any trouble, right? Because if you do." Her icy fingers digging into my skin, she pauses to lean in closer, just enough to hiss into my ear. "I'll make sure your life will be hell. What you went through just to get here won't even compare to what I can put you through. Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

Attempting to wrestle my head out of her firm hold, but the intense pain of her nails digging into my skin forces me to let out an involuntary yelp. "I won't ask you again, mutt. Do you understand what I'm telling you?" A chill momentarily ran down my spine, observing her eyes turning from their usual gray shade to a now deep crimson hue. My body not only trembling from the water, but by the sight of her eyes changing as well. It was like looking into the eyes of a predator, and suddenly I'm acutely aware of how vulnerable I truly am in her presence. "Yes." Answering through gritted teeth. Shortly after, she releases her hold on my jaw. "Good, but not good enough. For your behavior, I'm cutting you off from receiving three days of food. I'm sure the hunger would motivate you to have a better attitude. Do you think you can handle that long without eating?" As soon as she brought up that horrific method of punishment, my stomach erupts with the most excruciating and ungodly rumblings.

"Hmm, maybe not, but I don't care." She smirks with arrogance. Clenching my jaw, getting ready to counter her words, but she beats me to it with a cunning response. "Do you prefer to make it a week? I can easily do so if you like." Averting my eyes, indicating to her that I had no desire for that outcome whatsoever. "Smart choice, mutt." She pats my cheek.

Just as Corvina withdraws herself from me, the creaking noise of the door to the room we're in quickly captures our full attention. A young man spoke. "The Prince informed me you have requested a guard for an urgent matter you need help with. Is that correct?" Corvina stood tall, projecting an imposing demeanor that echoes the same austere impression she made on me during our first encounter. "Finally, you arrived. What took you so long to get here?" She fixed a sharp gaze on the man who had just barged into the room, causing the chain mail he donned to jangle loudly with each step he takes.

♓︎ 𝐏𝐚𝐱𝐬𝐨𝐧 ♓︎
Marching to the Prince's chambers, clearing my throat to announce my arrival. Gently knocking on the magnificent, gleaming wooden door adorned with intricate golden details, signaling my arrival. "Prince Lucian, you called for me?" Standing poised with my left hand resting on the hilt of my sword. After a few moments of waiting, I hear the voice of a man on the other side of the door.

"You may enter."

Turning the glistening golden handle to access his chambers, upon entering I stumbled across Lucian reclining in his bed with an unfamiliar woman situated closely by his side. To my surprise, he was indulging in a series of passionate kisses across the woman's upper portion of her body. Awkwardly standing by the door, my cheeks beginning to burn with embarrassment as I watch the uncomfortable situation unfold before my poor eyes. Clearing my throat once again. "Um, Prince, you needed me for something?" The woman's giggles grew louder, feeling a wave of discomfort wash over me. My voice being drowned out by her laughter as Lamarr moves down closer to her chest. Couldn't bear watching it any longer, twisting my head away, wishing I could escape this awkward situation. The urge to gauge my eyeballs out of their sockets were strong, but I force myself to stay put, waiting for it to be over.