𝟐𝟖 - We're All Prisoners Here

♐︎ Sylvaine ♐︎
My tears are mixed with my blood as silent screams leave my gaping mouth. "If you accept the deal, then I'll stop." Feeling another sting as leather rips through my flesh like a knife slicing through butter. "Pathetic." Corvina's voice sneered from just behind me. "Guard, I'm finished here. Take her back to her cell."

Weakly raised my head to see her powerful form exiting the room, but the sight of her was somewhat blurred by my tears and the exhaustion my body was under. Shortly after I feel myself falling into the black void that enveloped my body and senses.

.

.

.

Jolting awake when feeling a cool yet wet sensation on my forehead. Blinking to adjust my eyesight to the dimly lit room I'm forced to be held in, but to my surprise, I quickly notice the guard, Paxson, calmly sitting beside me with a bowl in hand and his hand tenderly patting the wet rag against my skin. "Shh, please don't move. Your wounds are severe, so just try to relax, and I'll try to clean them up for you if that's alright." He calmly explains, hoping what he said would ease the tension between us.

Glowering in response to his statement as I grudgingly allow him to clean the blood, sweat, and tears off my cheeks. While staring him down, his facial expression showed sadness or regret. I didn't quite know, but he looked genuinely upset, seeing me in this state.

"Sylvaine, I apologize for using my ignorance to justify my thinking and actions towards you and the other werewolves. And I also apologize for upsetting you from earlier when attempting to play hero, when, in reality, you never asked for it." Opens my mouth to respond, but he just continues while cleaning the skin from around my face. "You don't need to forgive or say you understand. You have every right to be angry with your situation and towards me."

Wanted to tell him off again, but his words and their genuine nature of them stopped me from doing so. Exhaling from my frustration on how to respond. "If you want, I brought you another bowl of beef stew and there's also a mug of cold water to help wash it down. If you need anything else, just let me know." Paxson places the bowl right beside the cot as he got off the stool.

"Wait." Reaching out, struggling to ignore the soreness in my arm as I latched onto his wrist, but the grip of my hand was feeble that his hand almost slipped out. To my surprise, he sat back down, using his free hand to gently hold on to my mine. Lowering my gaze towards his hand as I nibble on the inside of my cheek. "W-Wh-." with a slight shake of my head, I blurt out what's been on my mind. "What did you mean when you said, 'You're not the only one who's a prisoner here.' Do you mean the others in this dungeon, or are you directing that comment toward yourself?" Lifting my gaze once again to have him staring back at me with such kindness in his eyes, but of course, the same sadness that always goes with them.

♓︎ 𝐏𝐚𝐱𝐬𝐨𝐧 ♓︎
When she said that I wanted to leave the cell, her eyes showed curiosity and maybe even some concern about what that statement meant. "That comment was directed towards me, but also others as well." With a meager exhale, I explain the reasoning behind it. "As you know, not everyone is grateful or happy about the way society treats your kind. Believe me or not, but that fact is true, and if anyone else found out about my feelings towards you and your kind I'll end up in your situation or even worse." Sylvaine's eyes gradually widen when hearing that information.

Continues speaking, but also keeps a keen ear on what's happening outside the cell, hoping what I say will not be overheard by anyone else. "Like I said a few days ago. Margaret, the head maid and cook, taught me how to see your kind in a different light. Meaning, she taught me how kind, generous, and protective werewolves truly are and even secretly took me to a pack hidden deep within a nearby forest. And what I saw and experienced helped my eyes and mind to open to the truth... the actual truth than that of what the kingdom is portraying your people to be."

"But how did Margaret know of the pack that's hidden in the forest?" The tilt of her head prompted me to smile slightly. "Her best friend whom I met just a few times, showed her the pack. They were childhood friends, and Margaret and family kept their friendship secret even until the point of death." My smile faded to a frown. "Sadly, one of Margaret's neighbors found out and reported it to the king. So, of course, the king sent out guards to hunt down the pack and forced them into slavery along with Margaret and her entire family."

"I see." She meekly replies. "Is her friend around or?"

"Sorry to say she is no longer here. She passed away two years back, but don't worry about Margaret. She's doing well and is grateful to see that others hold the same belief as she does." Picking up the bowl of stew and placing in her hand. "I better get going before someone starts to worry about where I am." Removing myself from the stool, heading towards the cell door, but Sylvaine's voice stops me in my tracks.

"Paxson, thank you for your kindness, and sorry for snapping at yo-."

"No, you have nothing to apologize for. And anytime, Syl. Please let me know if you need or want anything else. I'll try my best to fulfill your requests. See you later." Smiling sweetly at her as I left the room, but while doing so, I spotted her smiling back, but it was faint.