𝟐𝟕 - We All Have Our Secrets

♏︎ Shivani ♏︎
The only sounds heard in the forest surrounding our group were the soft croaks and chirps of the frogs and crickets. It had been two hours since midnight, and I was the only one still awake. I felt grateful for the solitude, since I didn't have to listen to the constant complaining of the thieving pervert. As I gazed up at the night sky, lost in my thoughts, a sound interrupted me. I turned my attention to the crunching of leaves and saw that it was just the light grey-haired elf. I remembered forcing her to join me on the hunt to find Teva, despite her sister's efforts to dissuade her.

"Having trouble sleeping?" As she took a seat next to me, she made sure there was a reasonable distance between us to avoid any discomfort. Although I was annoyed that my moment of peace was interrupted, I responded to her question. "I suppose you could say that. And I assume you must be in a similar position, or else why would you bother trying to make conversation with me?" I leaned my head against a tree trunk and gazed back up to admire the night sky.

"May I spend  some time getting to know you better to make this night pass faster and so not to make traveling together any more awkward, or however you would like to put it?" Her speech sounded sincere, and it alleviated the tension between us. I nodded, indicating that it was acceptable. "Thanks, and the first question I would like to ask is your name. Because we never really introduced ourselves properly. I'm Azara and my sister is Velia. We're elves from the town of Silva. My sister is a healer, and you probably already figured out that I'm a bounty hunter."

Answering her first question briefly and straightforwardly. "Shivani and the person who's accompanying me is the brother of Teva. I do not have any interest in knowing his name, so please don't ask me about it. If you're curious to know about it, then I recommend asking him directly. Furthermore, he has a history of stealing and being a complete pervert." Giving her the side eye to see how she would respond to that answer.

"Pervert you say?" She gently rubs her chin as if she was pondering that information. "So, I'm guessing he's not yours then?"

Eyes widened at the assumption. "Hell no." Scoffing in disgust upon her even thinking it, let alone saying it. "I wouldn't be caught dea- Can't say dead, can I? Because technically, I already am, so to speak." Grumbles at the thought. "Since you asked me two questions, I'll be asking you two in return. Why did your heartbeat spike the moment we made eye contact back in the tavern and here now, and why are you so drawn in when looking at my baton and body?" Resting my hand on the hilt of it, eyeing her behavior closely. "Better not be a pervert either. I can barely handle the one I'm with now."

I was surprised when she burst into laughter, which caused her to take some deep breaths to regain her composure before answering my questions. After a brief pause, she wiped a tear from her eye and spoke. "I do apologize for losing my composure, but what you said helped me relax somewhat." While maintaining eye contact, she crosses her legs and rests on her elbows, fixated on my baton. "To be honest, I thought you were out to get me, and forgive me for making you uncomfortable. I wasn't checking you out, just curious is all."

"And pray tell, what got you so curious and why think I would be after you?" My gaze sharpens as I narrow my eyes.

"I'll answer your questions after you answer mine." I observed her gaze move away from my baton and back towards my face, resulting in our eye contact. Despite my annoyance, I consented to conclude this uncomfortable exchange. "Fine, and what question would that be exactly?" Without hesitation, she spits it out, which provokes me to sit in stunned silence.

"Do you have feelings for this, Teva?"

♒︎ Azara ♒︎
The moment I mentioned that question, Shivani's face contorts with sadness, but in a fleeting moment, it reverts to its usual impassive demeanor. "Did I say something wrong?" The tilt of my head indicates my concern and curiosity, while Shivani averted her face while talking. "The question you've asked is inappropriate, as it's clear that our kinds - yours, hers, and mine - are prohibited from engaging in romantic relationships. Therefore, I can confidently say that I do not have any feelings for her." I noticed her body shaking and it seemed like she was trying to control her urge to yell at me.