Chapter 1

Black Coffee - Chapter 1

~~

"If you continue to argue with us, you and the band will be done!" Mr. Burton yelled, standing up from his chair. The manager's face was red from screaming at Harry, and the young boy didn't care. He didn't care how long he had to fight for this. All he knew, was that he needed to fight.

"With all due respect, sir, I don't I've a fuck about your opinion! If we want to be together, then we will fucking be together, regardless of what you say!" Harry's chest was heaving, his fists clenched tightly.

Mr. Burton ran and hand through his short hair, "Harry, it's not about what I think! We've talked about this before! It that we will lose fans - and money- if you decide to date Louis."

"A few fans will leave, yes, but I don't want to sacrifice my happiness for something that might happen." He was hot from anger, and trying to control the violent shaking.

"I'm not willing to take that chance." Mr. Burton said bluntly.

Anger rolled through Harry. He picked up a binder close to him and threw it on the wall. "STOP CONTROLLING EVERYTHING I DO."

"I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU." He screamed back. "You don't even know if Louis likes you back."

He had to pretend that didn't hurt. Harry just shook his head quickly, and turned to walk out of the room, tired of seeing his face.

"You're out of the band, Harry. You proved to be too difficult." Harry could hear his voice trail and follow him out the door. It echoed in his head, bouncing on the walls of his skull. They surrounded him and sucked all the air out of his lungs, but he kept walking. The words stung at his eyes, and salty water streamed down his cheeks, but he kept walking.

He kept walking when he knew that those words would destroy the world around him, the ground he walked on. He knew that it would make seeing the people he loved difficult and he knew that his life would never be the same.

~~

"Hey, Ben." Louis said, smiling lightly at the young boy taking his order. Ben just rustled his hair and smiled down at the older boy.

"Hello!" Ben questioned, "Black coffee, like usual?"

Louis nodded, "Of course."

Ben smiled, "Louis, right?" As he scribbled down the familiar order.

The older boy nodded enthusiastically. "Yes."

"And how are you feeling?" Ben questioned, hinting towards the conversation they had yesterday. Unrealistic hope bubbled in the pit of Louis' stomach. Maybe, just maybe, he would remember him.

"Better. Not good, but better." Louis said honestly, giving Ben a small smile.

"That's good! I'll be back with you coffee." Ben said taking two small steps backwards before hesitating. "I'm going on my break right now, so maybe I can... Uh..." Ben struggled to find the right words. How could he explain that something about this Louis guy, intrigued him. He wanted to know more about him. he wanted to comfort him, in any way that he could. "Maybe," he started again, "We can finish our talk from yesterday?"

Louis couldn't hide the grin that grew on his face. "Sure. Company would be nice." he tried to sound nonchalant about it, but his face gave everything away. Ben smiled again before walking away, behind the counter and into the kitchen.

Once the younger boy was out of sight, Louis wiped his clammy palms onto his sweats. He shouldn't be nervous, but he was. This was his best friend he had known for years, but now he wasn't. It was like they were meeting for the first time all over again, and Louis was fearful of his first impression of him.

Ben came back with the coffee, and set it down in front of Louis. Louis took it graciously, picking up the spoon and twirling the liquid around, for the sole purpose of calming his nerves.

He watched as Harry sat down across from him, looking down at his coffee with his eyebrows slightly furrowed, concentrating deeply.

"Have you talked to... Him yet?" Ben asked, not looking up into Louis' eyes.

Louis bit his lip softly, "Yes." It was soft, as if he was unsure of his own answer. "I talked to him."

Ben looked to Louis with a face that he couldn't read. It looked like he was almost surprised but a disappointed surprised look.

"What did you guys say?"

Louis shrugged, pretending that talking to Ben yesterday wasn't a big deal. "Just a hello. I told him stuff that I hadn't told anyone..." How in the world could Louis say this carefully, without telling Ben that he was really the guy he loved so deeply.

"Did you tell him that you loved him?" Ben said, scooting his chair in, placing his elbows on the table.

Louis bit his lip, "Yes, but I don't think he understood."

Ben nodded slowly, "I'm sure he'll come around. Keep telling him and one day, he'll understand and return those feelings."

Louis swallowed thickly. How he wished those words were true.

"I love him. I love him so much."