Chapter 6

Chapter 6 BC

"Isn't she lovely. Isn't she wonderful. Isn't she precious, less than one minute old." Louis' phone rang with the sound of Harry's voice. He groaned and reached onto the bedside table and grabbed it, answering without opening his eyes to check the caller ID.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOUIS!" Louis winced, the screeching sound of his sister rang through the speakers. It took him a moment to collect his thoughts and shake drowsiness away before cracking a smile.

"Hey, Lottie. Thanks... But why call so early?" He wiped his tangled hair away from his face and wiped sleep from his eyes.

"It's eleven?" She laughed heartily.

"Oh." Was all Louis could say before he pulled himself up in a seated position,waning against his pillow that lay on the headboard.

"Are you going to come back for your birthday and Christmas?" She asked quietly after a short pause. Louis could hear the desperation in her voice, although he could tell that she was trying to cover it.

Louis sighed tugging at the roots of his hair. He couldn't tell her that he was in no mood to go and visit family or friends. "I'm sorry, Lottie. I don't think I'm going to come down this year." It twisted at his heart painfully to say those words to his oldest sister, knowing that his whole family will be disappointed.

She sighed, "That's alright, Lou. I know how much this means to you. I hope it works out." She said strained, as of she didn't want to say those words.

"Me too." He whispered, before they said their farewells, and hung up the phone.

Louis laid in bed, his stomach now growling after getting in the habit of eating eggs on toast every morning. It was a downpour of rain, each drop hitting the window as if composing a depressing song just for him.

He thought numbly, 'Happy 22nd Birthday'

--------------------

Ben strolled into the cafe, nothing on his mind but One Direction. After returning to his home in the motel yesterday, he pulled out his beat up laptop and searched, 'Harry Styles'. That was the name Louis had told him. It was the name that had been engraved into his head.

As soon as the page had loaded, hundreds of pictures popped up, all the face of a curly haired lad he'd known all too well.

It was strange. Like the pit of his stomach dropped, now knowing the truth, but he was not in any way disappointed. Sure, being famous was great, but what Ben really liked about this life he's discovered, was that it wasn't the life he was already living.

He's always felt out of place here in this small town, but always accepted this was his reality.

It was strange to see himself in pictures that he couldn't remember. Singing the songs he's never heard. It brought him to the thought that he couldn't remember anything but his life here in this town. He couldn't remember his parents, or where he grew up, or who his best friends were... That stung the most.

It hurt knowing that he had a whole better life before this one, and he didn't even have a memory of it.

Page after page held information of the boy Ben knew nothing about, but they all remained unseen. He didn't have the balls to open even just one page, to see the information he was terrified of hearing from Louis.

And that brought his thoughts back to the boy who started all of this.

Louis Tomlinson.

Ben saw pictures of Louis and him-well Harry- together, and couldn't help but notice how close they seemed to he. They were so obviously friends since they were in a band together. Ben wanted so desperately to know their relationship. He wanted to know what their favorite thing to do was, how they liked to spend a lazy day, and all of their inside jokes.