Thinking Of You

THINKING OF YOU
-------------------------

Vote &/or Comment
{ Important Little Note At The End. Please Read It 🙃 }

Eren hoped to whatever higher power there was that Armin was the only one in the rec hall because this was embarrassing enough to talk about with Armin let alone the rest of his squad. He pushed open the wooden door and peered in. A sigh of relief left his mouth when he saw the back of Armin's head at one of the tables. The candle Armin was reading by flickered when Eren walked near, causing it to look like the whole room was moving.

Armin looked up from his book, his face looking confused.

"Oh, hey," he greeted, closing his book slightly. "What are you doing up?"

"I...couldn't sleep." Eren sat down on the bench next to his friend. It wasn't a lie really. He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep so he just didn't try.

Armin didn't look like he was buying it. Why did he have to be so observant. It was very difficult to hide anything from him.

"What's on your mind?" he asked.

"Who says anything is."

Armin gave him a look that Eren has seen countless times before. The "I see right through your bullshit, Eren, so knock it off" look.

"It's the middle of the night and you are sitting here instead of passed out, twiddling your thumbs and looking terrified. I say something is."

Well, there went any of Eren's excuses.

"Its...well, it's about a few weeks ago, y'know, when we were all trapped...in the fields." Eren looked tentatively over at Armin who just stared back with his knowing eyes, and a slight smile.

"So it is about Mikasa then."

"I never said that," Eren said, but he could feel his cheeks heating up.

"No, but your face does." Armin removed his finger from his book and turned to see Eren completely.

"I couldn't really see you guys what with...everything that was going on. But I knew you were together. Did she say something to you?"

"Ah, yeah," Eren said. "She...she thanked me for everything I had done, for giving her life, and giving her my scarf. But...it was her face when she said that. I hadn't seen her that happy in...who even knows how long. Like at the end of it all, she was happy to just be with me." Eren hadn't realized he was staring at his hands.

He looked up to see Armin watching him.

"That sounds like Mikasa," Armin said. "But it wasn't the end, was it?"

"Well, clearly not. But that was because...of me I guess." Eren hesitated for a moment.

"I just looked in her eyes and there was no way in hell I was letting it end there. There was still too much..." he trailed off, his eyes watching the candle.

Armin didn't say anything for a moment but Eren could still feel his eyes on him.

"Do you finally understand why she's protected you for so long? Eren, it's never been because she thought you weren't capable but because she couldn't bear to lose you."