In the Dark

IN THE DARK
------------------

Vote &/or Comment ✨🔞
{ All Of You Adore Levi So Why Not Give You What You Like?  Enjoy My Dirty Little Rascal 💋 }

Mikasa pulled her precious maroon scarf tighter around her face. It was cold that night. Deathly cold. She felt the wind bite at her skin as she spurred her horse onwards.

No sound could be heard save the steady beating of hoofbeats against the dirt. It was dark, and she could barely see where she was going. But she never faltered. She didn't need vision to know what was ahead of her.

Eren.

The Titan-shifter rode hard and fast right in the middle of the group, with Lance Corporal Levi taking point. Mikasa could make out the silhouette of his back bobbing up and down under the moonlight.

She wished that she could see his face right now. It felt like ever since Wall Maria was breached all those years ago, all she had been doing was chase Eren as he ran off on his own.

What happened to us, Eren? What happened to you? Where's the Eren that gave me this scarf? Where's the Eren that would hold my hand and drag me off to see the Scouting Legion? You used to tell me everything.

Mikasa shook her head and tried to banish the thoughts from her mind. This was not the time to wallow in self pity. They had a mission to complete. When she looked up, she could see Wall Rose looming large before them, as imposing as any Titan she'd ever seen. The thought that it housed hundreds of colossal Titans all along its length made her shiver in her saddle.

As they neared the wall, the land became more and more densely packed with trees. They had to slow their speed down to a trot as they weaved their way through the overgrowth. It was quieter here. Peaceful. But it was a beautiful lie at best.

Who knew how many Titans were standing in the darkness. They could have been inches from one and it wouldn't have moved a single muscle to attack them, because Titans are inactive at night. It did not make the sight of them any less disturbing, though.

Levi signaled for them to stop when they finally broke from the cover of the trees into a small clearing right at the foot of the wall. A small wooden cabin nestled into its side, like a small, black flea latching onto bare skin : tiny and insignificant in comparison to the vastness of its host.

"We're resting already?" Eren asked as he dismounted from his horse.

Mikasa was already on the ground, and Levi had just hopped off his. The Lance Corporal did not bother to answer his question. He pulled a large, rusted key from under his cravat and slid it into the cabin's lock. The metal screeched terribly as he twisted the key, and the hinges squealed in protest as he pushed the double doors open.

"Hey. We're never going to get to the basement in time if we're taking a rest stop so soon!" Eren pressed, annoyance starting to seep into his words.

"If only we could kill Titans by whining. We wouldn't need soldiers any more. You could wipe them all out in an hour," Levi said dryly as he led his horse into the building.

A thick layer of dust coated the floor and the walls. The air inside was stagnant and smelled of moist decay. There was nothing in the room as far as Eren could tell.