Thank You Mud

THANK YOU MUD
----------------------------

Vote &/or Comment✨🔞

The weather was dismal, it had been raining since the night prior and while temperatures were already low, it was bone chilling when mixed with the biting winds and rain. But despite all the rain, wind, and cold, nothing was worse than the torrential of mud brought forth with it. Mud was every soldier's worst nightmare and to and behold, the Survey Corps were right in the thicket of it.

They had been outside since early morning, and with noon still only an hour away everyone was equally miserable. Despite being clad in their heavy, green cloaks with their hoods pulled low over their eyes, each soldier was soaked to the skin. Training was never an enjoyable task, but this was a bit too much. Due to the wind hazards and the possibility of mud damage, use of the 3DMG had been postponed, and so today's training was made of what seemed at this point to be endless marching, or rather, trudging through ankle deep mud trying not to lose one's boot. Everyone was cold, muddy, and at this point, chafing. However, there was no one closer to his wit's end than the company's commanding officer; Captain Levi, himself.

The dark haired man felt every grain of mud clinging to his uniform, it practically caused his skin to burn. The internal battle between the consistent need to train and his own obsessive compulsive personal hygiene had been raging inside the captain all morning, making him twice as bitter and snappish as he normally was. Connie and Sasha's ears were still ringing after his intense chastising when the two of them got the bright idea to instigate a mud fight. Technically training could only be cancelled if the weather was potentially dangerous, which roughly translated to a lightning storm. Everyone was silently praying for one at this point, particularly two lovers near the back of the march...

Eren held Mikasa's pale, slender hand gently in his own, giving it gentle, reassuring squeezes every so often to offer her comfort. They always held hands when they marched together, ever since they had confessed their feelings to one another several months prior, the two young soldiers had been inseparable ever since. Mikasa had always been overprotective of Eren, but now he was fiercely protective of her as well, spending much of his waking moments off the battlefield gazing wantonly at the raven-haired beauty, holding her close and lavishing her in kisses whenever he had to the chance to, holding her even closer whenever he had the feeling Jean might be watching them.

The two sixteen-year olds nuzzled against one another as they trudged behind their friends, squeezing each other's hands and offering each other chaste little kisses to alleviate the discomfort everyone was feeling. Mikasa had been very quiet, not making a single sound of aggravation, she never complained, she was graceful even in the worst of settings, and it motivated Eren to be strong for her too. They gently bumped foreheads, gazing into one another's eyes, vibrant emerald against soothing grey. Eren reached up with his free hand and gently wiped a smudge of mud off of Mikasa's porcelain pale cheek, to which she offered a grateful smile to him, kissing his lips tenderly. Even soaked and covered in mud she was gorgeous, but Eren still fretted about her. Her nose was very red and irritated, and she looked paler than usual. Eren prayed she wasn't getting sick, being the son of an experienced physician he knew all too well the harshness of a fever, or worse, the crippling flu.

He kissed her again, this time longer, nuzzling his mouth against her own to which she let out a small sweet little moan, deepening the kiss. They were both exhausted and quite perfectly content to simply stand there in the mud and kiss one another, becoming lost in each other's presence, even if it meant an irate scolding from Levi. However, fate decided to be a bit merciful that day, and a sudden flash of lightning tore across the black skies. Eren and Mikasa both jumped in surprise, Eren's arms instinctively wrapping about Mikasa's lithe body and holding her close to him as she held him back in reciprocation. But then they realized their circumstances, laughingly shakily in relief before kissing one another. Training could finally be cancelled.