Chapter 15

"So...you allow me to stay here out of pity?"

I sigh, seeing Rhett look down at the ground awkwardly as Cori had his arms folded. Alex had already ran upstairs to the room he slept in before, not even paying mind to our conversation.

"Not pity at all. I just wouldn't want to separate you guys during these times. You are welcome to stay here so that that lessens the burden. No stress and you can always be safe in the thought that this place is open to you." Rhett tells him, grinning shyly. "I know...you don't really like me, but I don't care. I do want Alex to be happy and not know of you hatred for me. I just want us to all get along, that's all."

Cori looked at him like he was crazy, glancing back at me. I just grinned at Rhett though because he was so kind. I wanted to pull him into my arms instantly.

"So...you're saying I can stay here for...how long?"

"As long as you wish until this pandemic eases up."

"Do I need to pay some sort of rent or...?" Cori actually looked like he was considering it as his eyes trailed the place.

"Not at all," Rhett chuckled, and that caused Cori to glare at him, "You can be here free of charge. Just...I guess you could pay with kindness is all."

Cori's expression told me that he believed this was a joke. That he was the joke and that he was waiting for us to bust out laughing. Except I was actually fine with such an arrangement. I didn't mind...being friends with Cori, even if we weren't together anymore.

Knowing how he is, he most likely is taking this as a personal shot towards him. When in actuality, it's just Rhett being a kind enough person to let him be here. To not be alone and for us to not be away from our child during these times. We all can be happy.

If he...allows it.

I don't have a problem and Rhett doesn't. The ball is in Cori's court at this point.

"I..." Cori drifted, and I knew he had more to say. Except he just inhaled sharply, nodding. "I'll do it, but...I don't want to see you two kiss in front of me, ever."

Rhett's entire face turned pink, and he looked towards me. I chuckle awkwardly since the both of us have been a little hands-on recently.

This is Rhett's house and if he wants to kiss me, he can. He didn't say we could hug one another and hold each other so...

"Okay...that shouldn't be too hard." Rhett says calmly, but I didn't miss seeing his hands rub on his pants leg. I already knew he was filled with nerves just from this conversation. "Anything else?"

"I'll think about it. Let me go and get my things then." Cori tells us, leaving now. Once he closed the door Rhett was quick to rush into my arms, hugging me tightly.

I hugged him back just as tight, the both of us relaxing against one another. That's when I inhale his scent and found him to be so calming.

"You're too...kind, beyond the word kind." I murmur in his ear, causing him to snicker shyly as he turned away from me.

I chuckle at how cute he was being, and he looked in my direction now.

"I'd want...someone to be that generous to me if I was in Cori's predicament. Especially during the pandemic. Being alone is the last thing he needs right now, that anyone needs...right now." Rhett bit his lip, his hand running up my chest only to grip my shoulder gently. "And Alex gets to be here too? I believe it's the perfect situation. Also...I can show Cori that I won't hurt you, I'm a good choice-."

"You don't need to prove anything to him, you know?" I clarify gently, but he just stuck his nose up at my words cutely. "You're so cute, you know that right?"