Chapter 4

"Oh, won't you look at that, you dressing up."

I look over my shoulder, seeing Cori eyeing me with suspicious eyes. Now I face forward instantly so that I didn't have to look at him anymore.

"Yeah, I have something to apply for today." I tell him, sighing as I decide to not even wear a jacket. I turn to face him now and I was happy that Alex was already asleep. "I'm getting a new job."

"A new job? What happened with your current one?" He asks me curiously and actually didn't have attitude in his voice this time. It made the conversation more tolerable in my opinion.

"Nothing happened with it, I just want to make better money for Alex and possibly...do other things." Is all I say because Cori began to narrow his eyes at me.

It didn't matter to me what came to his mind. I know what I was going to do and what I expected out of this. As well as what I expected for my future in the long run. I wasn't going to stay in this relationship for much longer...I just need to find another place.

My plan is to let Cori have this place, and then I'll move out. The...Alex situation will be handled when it truly comes to that point. I don't want to think too deeply on it right now.

"So...what? You look...too good to be doing some regular job. What kind of office job or mysterious stuff are you getting into? You have no experience in anything besides making coffee...so what will you do with that kind of 'experience'?" Cori seems to mock me with that fact.

He isn't entirely wrong though. I have no experience in anything besides the fact that I can make very good coffee.

"Not to be rude in the slightest, but," I look him in the eyes and saw him look kind of shocked by stance, usually I'd let him talk all his crap, "I honestly didn't know you could form such a complex paragraph like that. Second, I was offered this very job so experience has nothing to do with this. Third, I am the only one bringing money in. The most you could do is be kind about it and not mock me when you don't even work. You should be thanking me, instead of running your mouth. I'm not trying to be late."

I saw Cori look off from me and I just go around him. He was quiet because he knew I was right. There's no way that I'm not right in that conversation.

Whenever I bring up money and having a job he goes completely silent. He hasn't had an actual concurrent job ever since he had Alex.

I get it, he wants to take care of him and be around him until he has to go to elementary school. If I had that luxury I would be doing just that, but I'm not. Someone has to pay the bills...and it certainly won't be him.

I can't keep...doing this anymore.

The lack of appreciation he has then for him to treat me horribly... I don't deserve this from anyone, especially the one who I parent Alex with. Our child...and it shouldn't be this way, I would rather us be happy.

It wasn't originally like this.

Where did it all go wrong?

"What's the difference in each payout? It must be pretty great for you to leave your job that you were doing just fine in." Cori asks me as I was going to see Alex one more time before I leave.

"I don't know...the difference, but I know it's better than what I was getting. I know that for a fact, there's no point in you arguing with me about it-."

"I-I wasn't going to." Cori mumbles under his breath, causing me to just stop talking altogether.

Once I get to Alex's door I open it a tad. When I saw he was definitely asleep I go in completely now. As I crouch before his bed I brush away any of his hair from his eyes. Now I could see him sleep more soundly.