Chapter 7

"You're going to a party?"

I look at Cori as he stared at my clothes, seeing how I was wearing my nicest suit pants and black shirt. I wore a few bands on my fingers so that they could give off the vibe of a knuckle ring. All of them lined up and my arms were exposed to show off some of the tattoos I could never show at the cafe I used to work at.

"Yeah I am," I turn around to face him, seeing him kind of checking me out, "I'm still going to lay Alex down to bed with you though." I add, walking around him as I knew Rhett was supposed to be here soon. I told him my address and he said someone would be here to pick me up.

Not sure who that person will be or what car he'll be in, but I'm sure I'll know when I see it.

As I walked I felt Cori's hand grab mine, and I stop. Looking back to see him look bothered, his body coming a bit closer to mine as he rubbed my arm.

"What kind of party? Why wasn't I invited?" He asks with this...way of speaking that kind of confused me.

"It's a party for work. There's no reason why I should invite you because it was never told to me I could - also, you don't work there...actually you don't work at all." I say, annoyed that he was acting like I hurt his feelings.

"I do work!"

I stop talking, looking down at him with confusion because we both know he just lied for no reason. Looking up at me, he scratches his scalp and looks away awkwardly. His silly self knows he's spouting nonsense.

"Please, tell me where you work. I must be missing something or I must not pay attention whatsoever." I ask him curiously, folding my arms as I look down at him with amusement. He began to blush to my surprise as, seeing him nod at me.

"My job is watching our son. The pay is getting to see him grow into a kind and perfect human being."

"He's two." I remind him, Cori biting his lip as he shrugged. "Besides, you shouldn't place in his mind the idea of perfection. No one can be perfect. We of all people should know that."

Cori looked away fast and I turn away, going to Alex's room as I open the door a peek. Seeing him sitting on the bed, swinging his cute, little legs back-and-forth. His curls hanging over his face as he blew on them. Giggling when they'd fall back onto his face, I smile.

Opening the door all the way, he looks at me excitedly and gasps at my clothes.

"Daddy you so handsome." He giggled, making me smile as I walk in. Going on my knees before his bed, I tuck his hair behind his ears and kiss his cheek.

"Thank you, you're our precious little peach. You're even more handsome than me."

"Really?!" He exclaimed, smiling as he began to pump out his chest.

"Yes you are more handsome than me."

"You both are my handsome boys."

We look as Cori ends up getting on his knees beside me. Grinning softly as he ruffled Alex's hair, I look at him in confusion to him saying that because he never did before. I mean...

He did when we were younger with him. Then over time...something just changed with him. I still don't know what.

"If mommy and daddy say I more handsome than daddy, it must be true!" He stated, nodding as I agreed.

"For sure, and so if you really want to become even more handsome than your daddy, you have to get some sleep." Cori murmurs to him, and he nods as he pulls the cover back.

We went on each side of his bed, tucking him in and I suddenly see Cori hand him a stuffed animal. Alex hugging it like it was his life source and that made us both snicker at the cuteness.