Chapter 16

"If this isn't the dumbest thing, I don't know what is."

I glare at Cori as we all ate lunch at the table. Rhett sat beside me and I saw him looking down at his plate awkwardly. Alex just frowned because I know he didn't understand what he meant.

"You're telling me, that Rhett over here - the one who can't even see what he's doing - made this?" Cori gestured down towards the lasagna.

"Well...I just put it in the oven with its right temperature. I didn't actually...make make it, if that makes sense." Rhett tried to defend himself as he grinned awkwardly. "One of my chefs got sick so...he's on sick leave for two weeks. Can't risk anything with the way things are now. Of course, Denzel told me the temperature and set the timer."

"So...you didn't really do anything." Cori seemed to be trying to besmirch him.

I sigh, seeing Cori look over at me now. I shook my head at him and he just rolled his eyes, going back to eating quietly.

When I look at Rhett though, he didn't even look hungry anymore. I know he looked forward to eating this, so for him to suddenly look so down?

"He did a lot," I speak up, seeing Rhett look at me, "You did a lot Rhett, don't worry. There's nothing wrong with asking for help. You're missing out though, this lasagna was cooked to perfection. Try it, I insist."

Rhett grins at me, seeing him grab his fork as he starts to dig in. I glance over at Cori now and saw him avoiding to look at us both it seemed.

It's not like Rhett and I have disrespected his one wish - to never see us kiss. We haven't been touchy-feely around him and we certainly haven't locked lips either. I haven't even kissed him around Alex either since he may not understand.

Now isn't the time to just do that so selfishly.

The only time we can do anything really is when it seems right.

Like right now.

I sat in his office, helping him handle some paperwork. We were both next to one another and I didn't necessarily read over anything in particular. It's just the fact that when we are in here, work doesn't seem like work.

It just feels like...I'm just content. I can't explain it right, but he makes me so happy.

"Denzel?"

"Rhett?" I say his name immediately after. I see his hand hover over my thigh only to move up and rest on my arm. He leaned over some and his head rested on my shoulder. "Have you...thought about what I said?"

"That's what I was about to bring up. The whole...cataracts situation and I will consider it - for one thing though." He tells me.

"I'll do anything for you if that allows you to take this chance and see if you're really meant to be blind. Just to check...because why not?" I smile at him, nodding surely.

Only for me to see his face turn onto me fully. His beautiful eyes set on my face and I lowered mine so that I looked into his eyes only. I see him smile shyly soon and now I wasn't sure what he wanted to say.

What did he want?

"I want...you to do more than kiss me." Rhett says shyly, causing me to...find myself smiling shyly. "I like kissing you but, you have never...done more than that. Am I not...desirable because of-."

"Don't worry about not be desirable because you are. I desire you all the time, it's just... I don't want to ever make you uncomfortable or startle you with a touch that you won't see coming. I just want your absolute comfort throughout it all, so... That's my stance." I confess to him, my hands moving forward as I cradle his face.