Chapter 9

"He is fine."

There was a loud sigh that released from all of us, my hands covering my face as all of my worries ceased now.

"Why did he...throw up then and have such a reaction? He was shaking and had shivers, he was sweating." Cori recites as I look down at him sadly, my hand wrapped around his shoulder to try and help him feel better.

"All Alex had was his first ever stomach bug." They told us and I frown.

Alex never leaves the apartment...more like Cori never really goes anywhere. So how could he have gotten such a thing?

"Did he come in contact with any other kids recently?" The doctor asks and Cori looked just as confused. When he looks at me he wasted his time because we both know I couldn't have taken him around any kids recently.

I felt my arm unwound from around his shoulders and he grins awkwardly.

"I did go to the mall with Alex on the day Denzel first got his new job, yeah..." Cori nods, and I frown. "He did play in the kids section for the first time. That's my bad."

"What did you go to the mall for?" I ask him I'm confusion. He doesn't say at first as the doctor tells us some more things, then walked away.

Once it was just us two I look at him more seriously.

"Why did you go to the mall with Alex? You know he's only two and his immune system isn't the strongest around older kids yet-."

"I know, I know! I just...needed to get something." He mumbles. I narrow my eyes onto him until he just turns away. "Tell your boss that you will be busy today and tomorrow. I need you to stay home with Alex because I have to go somewhere-."

"Go where?! Our son is literally sick with a stomach bug that he got from you taking him out. You can't even say for what? Are you cheating-?"

"Of course not! How dare you ask me such a thing?!" He gasps, looking at me as if I was crazy. I shook my head because now he knows how I feel when he asked me such questions.

I don't even consider us to be together. Just...parenting our son and living together. We don't even kiss or do anything anymore...

What even is this?

"I'm not missing work for two whole days just because you need to 'go somewhere'. Lost your mind-."

"If I may...interject," We both look, seeing Rhett walk up awkwardly, not really looking directly at us, "I can't not excuse him from work for two days since he just started, if that is understandable - I hope it is. He can come to my house and my butler can watch your son, Moe. Or he can work from my house and I can be there so that he knows what to do. I wouldn't mind."

I found my eyes softening on him and I remembered what he said earlier about me moving in. Was this some kind of way for me to see his house in some interesting way just to see?

"Why are you offering such a thing? If you're willing to do all of that, why doesn't he just work from home?" Cori questioned him in irritation. I saw Rhett look uncomfortable just a bit as he nods to the side.

I assumed he was nodding at me and I turn him some, so that it'd make sense. Cori noticed that and narrowed his eyes on him.

"He's new. I am afraid there is too much to be able to learn well over a screen. I can easily reach him from my home and your son can still be watched by him, or even me! It'll only be for two days, like you said you'd be gone, of course." Rhett smiles at him.

Cori just glared at him still and I found myself snickering at their interaction. We waited for Cori's response at this point even though I didn't really need one from him.