Chapter 6

"We do not have a date, Lexi," Rhett sighed, shaking his head as he continued to have his eyes in a slight different direction since he didn't know Lexi was so close," Besides, it's a Masquerade. You dress in a costume of your choice and get to mingle with other A-listers. I don't think it's even meant to bring dates to... I am sorry, but I never said you were my date."

I chuckle, walking towards him as I grip his shoulders gently. Turning him towards her, he begins to smile as he soon says thanks.

"I thought we were going together." I soon heard Lexi whine once he had said such a thing to me.

"I never said we were. What I remember is..." He begins to stand, and I hand him his walking stick. "I remember you telling me about the Masquerade and asking me what I was dressing up as. I said I'd dress up as an old-fashioned Yakuza leader, and you said you wanted to be my wife - for the party of course; but, I declined."

I look at Lexi, seeing her red-faced and it was quite comical. Especially since he couldn't see it for himself so he didn't know what his words were doing to her.

"Can we talk about this in private?" She asked him quietly, glancing at me in evident annoyance.

I was just his assistant so it wouldn't be surprising if he sent me out. I wouldn't be offended...or I guess it'd depend. No...it wouldn't depend. This isn't my business and I only just got here so there's really no depending-.

"I'm afraid that wouldn't be appropriate." I heard him say fast, and I had to stop myself from snickering. "The party is tonight and I was going to invite-." I saw him flinch as he pointed to his left. "Denzel."

Lexi frowned as he wasn't pointing at me. He was pointing at the glass wall reflecting the city and she raised her eyebrow. I could tell she believed he was kidding since he wasn't necessarily pointing at me, but at a window.

"Denzel? Are you mocking me? No one's there-."

"Of course!" I interject fast, seeing Rhett's hand drop fast as he looked embarrassed. "He's just emphasizing that I'm invited."

I pat his shoulder and he looks up at me, blushing. I could tell he was just embarrassed that he looked the wrong way, but he needn't worry.

"You know," I point like how he did, except I raised an eyebrow then smiled, "it's the new thing."

Lexi glared at me, Rhett smiling as he nodded.

"Yes. The new thing of pointing in opposite directions of someone. You're misleading, but on purpose..." He drifted, chewing his lip as him and I were just making things up.

I could tell Lexi wasn't buying any of it and not that I cared, but I was curious. Was he saying he invited me as his partner so that she'll leave him be. Or was I really invited...?

I'm also...a dude so.

"I don't believe you."

"Ms. Ozark please. I know you didn't come here just to discuss that. I'm already bringing Denzel-."

"Well, if you're bringing a man with you - never knew you were gay, then I'll see you two there. Tonight, together, on the black carpet and taking pictures for everyone to see. You'll acknowledge that he's your date."

Rhett smiled, nodding vigorously as he began stepping back. Heading right for the glass coffee table and I was about to help him out before he stopped immediately before bumping into it. Going around it, he sat on the leather couch.

His smile was certain and he didn't look bothered by what she said despite what it could mean for him.

"Perfect. I will, you will see us there together and he will be matching alongside me. He'd be my...head bodyguard! Don't fret at all, I wouldn't lie to you to get out of a date. That's just wrong." He nods certainly.