Chapter 12

"Denzel."

I look, hearing Rhett behind me. When I look over my shoulder I was startled to see how close he was. Except his eyes were wide on me and that kinda took me aback... He still looked nice though.

Wait...why is he dressed so nicely?

"Yes Rhett? Why are you dressed so nicely, what's the occasion?" I question him curiously.

"It's a surprise!" He exclaims nervously almost, and I frown. "I don't know how you're dressed, but I arranged for my butler to watch your son. Is...is that okay?"

I was wondering what this was about? Was he asking me out on a date or was this some work thing?

"I'm wearing joggers." I tell him.

"Oh, um...th-that's fine! I bet you look nice in anything you wear. I just really want you...to go with me to this...thing." He mutters softly.

I grin at him, raising my eyebrow at that.

"This...'thing'? What is 'this thing'?" I smile at him as I could see his face becoming pink with shyness. "You don't want to tell me?"

He shook his head softly and I wondered if it was some kind of surprise. Cori was coming back today, so he probably just wanted to hang out with me in his own way before he came to practically...get us.

"Okay, but let me change first. It's rude to just go like how I'm dressed. Trust me, if I'm guessing correctly on where we're going based on how you're dressed." I insist, and Rhett nods slowly.

I end up going upstairs and change into something I would've worn to work if we went at all. Thank goodness I packed one because the rest were just clothes you relax in.

Being ready now, I go back down and saw him just standing at the door. I look over and saw Alex playing with Moe along with Rhett's huge dogs.

"I'll be right back Alex, be good okay?" I say to him, and he nods quickly. He was too distracted to look over at me when he said that. That made me chuckle as I open the door for Rhett, grabbing his hand as I walk him to the car that I was in the front.

When I get right before it, I open the door for him and saw him almost avoiding looking in my direction. I wasn't sure what it was, but I helped in despite that. Getting in after him, I saw him almost fumbling to just put his seatbelt on and I raise my eyebrow. What kind of date was this that he'd be this nervous and jittery?

Once the car began moving, it was just silent and I fold my arms as I grin at him.

"So...you want to tell me where we are going with you looking so nice?" I question him.

"It's a surprise." He responds back fast and I snicker. "No, really. I can't just tell you, it ruins the surprise you know."

I nod in understanding, grinning at him as he still looked so nervous.

"You don't have to be so nervous you know. I don't know what's going on, this is genuinely a surprise to me. It even seemed like Alex was in on it, so I really don't know what's going on. Trust me on this one."

Rhett looked at me a little more and I pat his shoulder. He seemed to believe me as he instantly was not as tensed up.

"That brings me some relief...but what I'm wrong and you do know? I want to ask and just say it, but then if you don't know I ruined my own surprise. It was hard already to tell Alex to please not to say anything to you."

"He listened to you? That's some next level stuff." I snicker, smiling when Rhett nods surely. "What magic did you use to get him to listen, hmm?"

"Oh...my words."