Chapter 13

I sat in the living room with Cori, Alex sitting on his lap as he hugged him happily. I saw Rhett on the top of the stairs awkwardly, looking over at me and I wish I could show him I was fine...but he'd just have to know by what we say.

Cori ended up looking, scoffing aa he faced me again.

"Did you forget it was your birthday, again, this year?" Cori questions me.

"Yeah, I did; but Rhett reminded me. He surprised with me with this nice cake-."

"So that's why you're both dressed up so nicely. You went on a date, it's obvious." He glared at me hard as Alex still laid against him. I could tell he by the way he held Alex that he was probably going to try something...

To use Alex against me.

I can't live without my son...

"Cori if we are going to talk about this now, let Alex play with Rhett's dogs. Not right now in front of him." I suggest almost pleadingly and I saw him glare at me.

"You want me to give you that decency, yet you go and do this to me? I don't owe you any of that." He sneers harshly and I became nervous.

Until I saw Rhett rushing down as best he could, and his hand rested on the sofa.

"Alex, wanna play with me outside? My dogs are hungry and you can help me feed them, by hand even! It feels funny." He gushed, causing Alex to light up as he rushed off of Cori fast.

"Yes! Yes please!" Alex squeals, grabbing Rhett's hand as he rushed away with him outside. Once they were gone I faced Cori and saw that look of rage.

He looked so angry...all because of what? Because Rhett tried to help? No...I know the real reason.

"You...cheated."

"No I didn't." I say simply.

"Yes...you did! I have been saying all this time that you were cheating, and here you go, cheating on me! With...with that weirdo! There's something off about him and you chose him?! It's because he's rich, there's nothing else! You even got Alex close to him-!"

"Cori we were never together like that anymore. We were just coparenting. I can't...be with someone who tears me down and tries to make me out to be this horrible person. When all I am trying to do is help us all live. Alex is the reason I am still living in that apartment, because I don't want to be that kind of father who isn't there for his son. That's not me, I wanted us all to be together. I tried, but...I'm not happy." I confessed to him, shaking my head as he looked shocked.

I saw him look away from me momentarily before he snorts, folding his arms now.

"What?"

"You...want to stay for Alex, a boy who's not even your son?" He sneers at me.

I felt my heart tighten immediately as I just look at him. Cori's demeanor didn't falter and I shook my head.

"I know he's my son, you can't hurt me with your lies-."

"He's not your son, get that through your damn skull. I know exactly who's it is, but I didn't tell him because I knew he wouldn't be involved. You were a perfect choice. Want to know who it was?" Cori hisses and I tried not to feel sick.

I felt like I was going to collapse into this couch. My vision began to become glassy and I look away, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I don't...it doesn't matter. He's my son. He doesn't need to be biologically mine to be my son. I love him...biological or not." I choke, and I saw Cori flinch.