Chapter 43

Aramide didn't see Suliat throughout the week she stayed in Agbande . She might have promised Baami to go back and be optimistic about everything, but she wasn't exactly a ray of sunlight yet.

Suliat knew her too well and so she would be able to figure out Mide's mood just from her countenance.

Aramide smiled as she stared at her grandfather.

"Remember, Aramide . No one else ..."

"...Is responsible for my success. Yes , Baami. You have said that at least a thousand times today. " He laughed.

Mide tried to ignore the urge to cry as she watched laughter ripple through his chest.

Something deep in her felt hurt . A dreadful thought had swept through her mind; she'd imagined she was seeing Baami for the last time.

She tried to shake it off, but it lingered. That made her hold onto him tighter.

" I'll miss you, Baami" . She said, sniffling.

" Time has a way of surprising us , Mide. It won't be long before we see again. "

Mide smiled, she knew he would say something like that. He wasn't her personal sage for nothing.

" Baami, can you help me give this to Suliat whenever she comes over ? She still comes here to help you , right? " She asked, stretching a folded paper to her grandfather.

"Yes,she does. She shall be very hurt when she finds out you were in Agbande and she didn't know." . He scrutinized her, as though he was trying to find out something.

" Why didn't you just visit her and give it to her yourself?"

" I didn't want to have to see her Baami, I'll be back soon anyway. "

" Aramide... "

" Oh look, your friend's son is here ", Mide pointed at a man driving a taxi towards their house. Her grandfather sighed and collected the paper from her.

Baami had found a way to get his friend's son ,who had a taxi to pick her up and drive her to the bus stop .

"Baami, please take care of yourself. And don't forget to give it to Suliat. " She pointed to the paper between his fingers.

" I love you,Baami."
She said holding his hands , with teary eyes.

" God be with you Aramide".

His grand daughter turned to him and smiled .

" And you too , In Jesus Name. Amen. "

She got into the car, shut the door and waved at the smiling, old man.

*****************

The journey back to school had been a long one, oddly longer than it usually was.

Perhaps, it really wasn't, she thought.

Perhaps it only seemed long because she felt a cloud of doom hovering around her.

She was afraid.

Levi, her father,Mr Godwin, her grandmother... most of her life, had built up fear in her heart.

She feared that somehow, something really bad was awaiting her at school.

She was wrong.

Kiara came out squealing when she saw Aramide . Behind her was a sweaty Vera who had a towel on her shoulder.

"My baby, I missed you so much!!". Aramide smiled and hugged her back.

"Bro , what's up?" , Vera greeted her casually .