Chapter 31

~Never Underestimate peace of mind.
  It really is a thing.~

🌌Unedited🌌

"Aramide ,I'm being forced to join a fraternity ."

I swear I could hear the sound of my heart beating violently in my chest on hearing those words .
"Fraternity as in cult ." The statement sounded more like a question and my voice came out in a whisper like tone . He nodded rendering me speechless for a second .Then my head kept processing questions .  "When ?How did you ... How did it happen ?" He sighed.

"They first approached me when I was in JSS3 . The truth is they actually thought I was older  but when they found out I wasn't, they still kept pestering me . The fact I kept refusing each time isn't pleasing to them so once in a while they waylay me and well ,I come back home with this if not worse and I kind of wanted the wounds to heal ." He ended pointing at his head and face that looked rough and swollen .
"This isn't something to joke with .We have to tell mum you know . " I said staring at him . What else would we do any way ? She was the only one that could pitch a good idea to help him out .  
"Look ,you don't have to worry about this.It's not that serious ,mum doesn't need to  know about it too so let's just keep it a secret between us . " I looked at him like he had two heads . " Are you okay ? Did the beaten affect your brain too ?" He looked shock at my response and I was more than shocked at what came out of my mouth . " You want to keep it a secret .Is it until you die that you'll know that it's serious ? If it's a joke please stop it now oh . "
His face still held the shocked expression of before and made me calm down a bit realizing I must have been making him regret telling me .
"You have to tell mum . Take a look at yourself ,you look horrible .Don't let this their beatings spoil your fine face oh . Apart from that it's endangering your life and I know they'll do more than beat you as time goes by . Pity yourself . Pity your mother ,I know she won't want you to get hurt . "

**************************************

~Narrator~

Standing up from the bed she recalled the memories of last night and sighed at the fact she was struggling to lock another memory away .
She knew she was slowly falling into depression and being locked in the room 24/7 wasn't helping in any way . She needed a way to escape . Maybe just for a few days .Perhaps until Christmas when she would have to face him .To face them all .

****************************************
~Dami~

As I entered into the garden where Aramide and Mum where seated watching the sunset ,I watched mum turn back at the sound of footsteps and dare I say I saw a mix of emotions on her face . The most outstanding one being anger .
Why was she angry ?
Maybe Aramide had told her what happened . No ,we agreed to tell her together .

I was pushed out of my reverie when a hand came in contact with my face ,I looked up only to see mum standing in front of me fuming . Shocking me again ,her face dissolved into a smile and she enveloped me in a hug .

What was going on ?
I could see Mide biting her lips so persistently to stifle the laughter about tumbling out of her throat .
After releasing me ,mum practically dragged me to where she was sitting previously . "What happened to you ? Why were you locked up in your room for that long ?" She asked after sitting . Aramide gave me a nod urging me to tell her and that was exactly what I did .
"Mum ,I have a problem ."  She looked confused and I took the cue to explain further . " I'm being forced to join a fraternity  ." She screamed .  " How did that happen ?" I started the story from the beginning and when I was done she started crying .

"You know ,I'm really sorry that I haven't been there for you ,for both of you . Maybe if ...if I wasn't so engrossed in work I would have been able to care for you guys even more . "
She looked so sad and I had no idea what to say .I looked at Mide and at the same time ,she turned to me with a 'what should we do' look .
I shrugged .She just patted her hair . "Mum, you know that's not what happened . You always tried your best ." I said and I could certainly swear I saw tears in her eyes . If I wasn't careful ,I would be crying next .