T W O

T W O

I call her name
Across an endless plain

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Daella waited until the sun sunk below the western tower and then she rose from the chair she'd been sitting in, determined to complete the task she'd been given. Crossing the room, her fingers found the hidden latch quite easily and she stepped into the forgotten corridor, turning to look over her shoulder one last time. She was undoubtedly going to miss this solar, because even though she had perfected the act of complaining about her private lessons in High Valyrian and the history of Westeros, she secretly liked listening to Maester Helliweg's explanations. 

A soft sigh escaped her mouth and she pulled the heavy door close again, the dark engulfing her. There were no torches lining the walls of these corridors, but it was no problem for Daella, who had grown familiar with the secret passageways of the Eyrie at a young age. It had started when she was only five years old, accidentally stumbling over one of the stray stones she'd liked to collect and hitting the wall at just the right spot with the right amount of pressure. Upon seeing part of the wall slide over, Daella had been terrified, convinced of the fact that Aunt Jeyne was going to banish her from the castle for ruining one of the rooms. That fear had quickly been replaced with curiosity, however, and soon she was moving through the Eyrie at all hours of the day like a rat or a spider. 

Holding tightly onto the balustrade, she made her way down the spiralling staircase until she was out of breath and at the desired destination. She placed her ear against the wall and upon hearing nothing, she felt for the groove in the bricks. A shiver crawled down her spine as one of her fingers got caught in a spider web and for a moment she thought she could hear the squeaking of a pack of rats behind her, but then the door clicked open and light flooded the desolate corridor. Daella slipped through the crack, wiping the cobweb off on her dress and closing the door again.

The servant quarters were plain and just as void of presence as the hallway she had just emerged from, but the winch basket was still attached to the pole, having not yet been returned down. It was here that all of the vegetables, wood and meat from the Vale arrived at the castle and it surprised Daella to find that not one of the servants was present. She had a nagging feeling Lady Jeyne was responsible for that, as well as for the thick mantle and the matching brown ushanka that lay neatly folded on the table just next to the outside door.

Smiling, she pulled the mantle over her shoulders and tied the cords just above her collarbones, pulling her favourite hat over her ears. No matter how hot the summer may be, at the height at which the Eyrie was located, it was always chilly. Especially now that the sun had dropped and daylight started to disappear fast, Daella knew better than to leave her ears exposed to the cold of the night.