The Love Square {4}

“Zane, dane, pain, rain, lane, train,” I chanted.

                “Stop rhyming my name. Ant, pant, rant, can’t,” Zane said, rolling his eyes as he mocked me.

                “Ha! More things rhyme with Zane than Ant,” I said smugly.

                “Because my name is obviously better,” Zane said, flicking his hair dramatically. “You and your loser name.”

                I pouted. “Hush up, fool.”

                I put in my locker combination and pulled it open. I began to exchange my books, ignoring my growling stomach. My lazy mother had slept in, and I had been too tired to walk all the way across the kitchen to get a poptart.

                I yelped as someone shoved me into my locker. I heard the sound of the locker shutting and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to stay calm before I started to hyperventilate.

                “Ant!” I heard Zane cried. A few seconds later, he pulled my locker open and I stumbled out into his arms.

                Colin raised an eyebrow at me as I looked up at him. I shakily ran a hand through my hair as Zane steadied me. I forced a smile for Colin.

                “Good morning Colin! I hope you have a good day today,” I said sincerely.

                Colin glared at me and shoved me up against the lockers roughly before walking away from me without a word. I looked around but didn’t spot Collie anywhere.

                “Are you okay Ant?” Zane asked.

                I nodded at him. “Yea! I’m fine! Good thing you know my locker combination,” I said, laughing a little.

                Zane shook his head as the bell rang. “That guy needs to leave you alone!” he whined.

                “No!” I said sternly, whacking Zane in the back of the head. “I don’t care when he does that kind of stuff to me! Someday he WILL be in love with me!”

                Zane pouted and rubbed the back of his head. I smiled innocently at him, grabbing his hand and skipping with him towards first period.

                When lunch rolled around, we sat at our usual table together. I began to eat hungrily. Man, I’d have to give my mother a stern talking to. How dare she sleep in when I was hungry! Selfish woman…

                “Ant.”

                “I JUST WANTED A POPTART!” I cried defensively, spinning in my chair.

                Collie raised an eyebrow at me. “Okay. That’s not really my problem.”

                I blushed. “Sorry. I thought you were my mom.” My eyes widened and I shook my head violently. “No! I mean I was thinking about my mom! NO! NOT LIKE THAT! I just…and…so, um, what did you need Collie?”

                “Did you do the study guide for English?” he asked.

                I thought back before nodding. “Yes I did! Why, do you need help on it?” I asked.

                Collie sighed and nodded. “Yea, I was tired when I was reading, so I barely understood the book. Can you help me so I don’t fail that class?”