The Love Square {17}

***Colin’s POV***

                “You lied to me Colin. You told me that boy wasn’t a faggot!” dad said angrily, pacing through the living room with his hands clasped behind his back.

                “I didn’t want Collie to get mad at me. I didn’t think Ant was going to try to get with Collie!” I said.

                “And you saw them…cuddling?” dad asked.

                I nodded at him. “Yea. Ant had his arm around Collie, and Collie had his head on Ant’s shoulder,” I said.

                “No. No, you must have seen wrong. Collie is not a faggot. My son is not some disgusting abomination!” mom said furiously.

                “Now Collie’s mad at me,” I whispered, dropping my face into my hands.

                Mom put an arm around my shoulders comfortingly. “We’ll talk to him, Colin. He shouldn’t be mad at you. Ant Andrews is a freak of nature. A gay boy. You were right to threaten him away from Collie like that. You were just protecting your little brother. We’re proud of you for that. But you should’ve told us he was gay. You shouldn’t have lied about that. We never would’ve invited that faggot into our house if we had known.”

                Dad finally sat down. He looked at me as I slowly picked my head up out of my hands. He sighed sadly and shook his head.

                “You need to keep an eye on your brother for us at school, Colin. Don’t you dare let him around that boy. Ant must’ve gotten into his head. Collie’s not a faggot, he’s just confused. Faggots are wrong, and don’t you forget that,” he said sternly.

                “I won’t,” I said. It’s what they had been telling me my whole life, and I had learned the lesson well. Unlike Collie.

                What was happening to my twin brother lately? He had always been a little distant. Always a little different. But nothing extreme like this. I mean…the way I had seen him and Ant today…it had almost been like they were…dating.

                The front door opened and slammed. Dad stood up and hurried downstairs. I could hear the sound of an angry argument, and then dad was literally pulling Collie into the living room.

                “Let me go!” Collie snapped, shoving dad off of himself. “I don’t want to talk to any of you right now!”

                “Collie, honey, we don’t want you hanging around that sick faggot,” mom said gently.

                “Stop it!” he screamed, slapping his hands over his ears, his eyes watering. “Stop using that word! I hate it! I hate the word faggot! I hate this house, and I hate the three of you! LEAVE. ME. ALONE.” He turned and rushed down to the basement. I could hear his bedroom door slam viciously.

                “Jake,” mom said, looking scared. “Go talk to him. Calm him down. He can’t…he can’t get confused like this. What if he…experiments?”

                Dad’s face paled. “Cassie, do not say that. He won’t experiment. He’s not a moron, and he’s certainly not a faggot. If he locked his door, I won’t be able to get into his room. But he’s got to come out sometime. When he gets home from school tomorrow, I’ll talk to him. I promise.”