The Love Square {23}

***Ant’s POV***

                “ANT PLEASE DON’T GO!”

                “Mom,” I groaned, pushing her off of me. “I’m fine. Really. I can go to school.”

                She sniffed and reached out, stroking my hair. “I just don’t want to see you get hurt again. You’re my baby boy,” she whispered. Obviously someone hadn’t taken her pills today…

                “Mom, I’ll be fine. I promise,” I said, forcing a smile. I didn’t want to go to school. I was beyond terrified. But I didn’t want my mom or Zane to worry about me.

                “You call me if you want to come home. I’ll come pick you up Anthony. I promise,” mom said, pulling me into a tight hug.

                “Okay mom,” I said, kissing her cheek. I knew she always worried about me, and now that I had gotten the shit beat out of me, she would be a wreck. I had to try to convince her that everything was fine.

                I waved to her and left the house, trying not to clear my mind as I drove to school. My hands began to tremble violently as I got out of my car, locking it twice just to be safe. I put in one earphone, looking around suspiciously and trying to keep calm as I stuck close to a group of kids as I walked up the hill.

                I entered the school and drifted towards a security guard as I looked around for Zane. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I was just being paranoid. They wouldn’t come after me again in front of all these people.

                “Ant, how are you?”

                I jumped and turned to face a concerned looking Zane. I forced a bright smile despite the bruises on my face and the fear in my heart.

                “I’m fine!” I lied cheerfully.

                He gave me a doubtful look but nodded. We walked down to the senior hallway together and he watched me as I put in my locker combination. I felt much safer now that I had Zane with me. He would never let anybody hurt me.

                I turned and jumped back in shock, hitting my locker and groaning. “Collie, sneaking up on me and not saying anything is almost worse,” I grumbled.

                Collie shrugged. “Whatever. Are you alright?”

                “I’m fine,” I lied again.

                “You’re lying. So who did it to you, Ant? Anyone who’s friends with my brother?” Collie asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

                “No,” I said, working hard to keep my voice steady. “Collie, I don’t want to talk about it.”

                “I don’t care what you want or don’t want, Ant. The fact is, I can see it in your eyes. You’re afraid. But if you let Colin and I get the bastard who did this to you…” He shrugged again.

                “Colin can’t,” I said, dropping my voice. “You know he can’t. You don’t want to risk his sexuality coming out, Collie.” In reality, I was just scared that Collie and Colin would get hurt if they went after those bastards.

                Collie eyed me before shaking his head. “Whatever. Colin wanted me to tell you to go to the stage. Come on; I’ll walk you there.”