you wouldn't be the first renegade, to need somebody

Todd softly knocked on the door frame, "Hey, morning."
The bedroom was still pitch black, and the rain was a steady pounding against the shades.
He successfully made his way over to the window without knocking into any furniture and opend them to let some light in.
Neil groaned.

"I made you coffee and eggs," Todd sat down next to his legs and swept the hair out of his forhead, "You need to get out of bed, okay? Just for the funeral. "

Another groan and Neil rolled his face into Todd's pillow, "I don't even know why I'm doing this, it's not like he would've showed up for me."
Ever since the invite had come in the mail, Neil had been going back and forth between going and staying home and only going to the service and only sending a card and had finally decided that, no matter how god awful his father had treated him for his whole life, a funeral wasn't something you ditched.

"It's only like 2 hours, you got that, sweetheart."

He turned back to face Todd, the begging of an adoring smile on his lips, that Todd knew all so well.

"Couldn't do it without you."

During breakfast, neither of them felt very talkative, so Todd just read in his book while his boyfriend stared on his still filled plate, head resting on his elbow. Neil's mental health had been suffering quite a bit after his father's passing, but he was hanging in there, thanks to much needed therapy and Todd. The one person who kept him grounded and made him feel real when nothing else did.
Todd was there for him through it all and never for one second complaint or made him feel like a burden.
Todd was the best thing in Neil's life.
However, he had to now very sudden and very drasticlty learn how to deal with his fathers loss on his own, at least for a few hours.

The phone rang loudly and both of their heads shot up.
"I'll get it," Todd slid out of his chair and pulled the phone of its place at the kitchen wall, "Todd Anderson, hello?" he started nervously twisting the cord around his finger, a habit he couldn't get rid of when talking on the phone, "Oh, hello Mrs. Perry," Neil looked up, "Yeah, yeah he's here," Pause. Todd had a soft crease building between his eyebrows, "I- Well- I mean, no I don't-" Another pause, "No, that's not what I'm-" Neil pushed his chair back, walking over to his boyfriend and held his hand out for Todd to give him the phone.

"Hey, mom. What's up? Why are you bothering Todd?" Todd lightly slapped his shoulder with an eyerol and sat back down to finish book and coffee.

"I wasn't bothering him. Neil, I want to talk about the funeral today with you. You are coming right?"

"Yes, I am."

"Okay. Well, I think it is in your fathers sense if you come alone." Neil drew in a surprised breath.

"What?" He chuckled, "Are you saying I can't bring my long-term boyfriend to my father's funeral?"

"Neil, don't twist my words like that, all I am saying is I don't want someone who your father disliked at his funeral. So either you come alone or you don't need to come at all."

He scoffed, still in disbelief, "You're kidding."

"I'm not. I'll see you at 12. Alone." The phone let out a long low beep and Neil hung it back up. Again, he scoffed and Todd turned around, his ususal slightly worried expression on his face.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Neil sighed and dropped back down on his woodenchair, "I don't know. I just- I don't think I can do this without you." He locked eyes with Todd, feeling a few tears burning in them, but Todd immediately reached up and softly whiped them away.

"Hey, no crying okay? You can do this without me," Neil was about to protest, but Todd interrupted, taking his hand of of Neil's cheek to hold his hand instead, "You can. Look, how about you go for the service and if it gets too much, you leave before the wait, okay?"