18. Engaged

"You call it madness, but I call it love"

Chapter Eighteen

Adam's POV

I clenched my teeth at the sight of his mouth touching her skin, my fingers tightened around the glass, almost shattering it.

She's obviously testing my patience, playing along with his immature tricks. Carl cleared his throat and invited me to the front deck, away from the group.

"Damn, if eyes could kill, you'd probably be a murderer now," he teased laughing slightly.

I glared at him in annoyance thinking silently how much I wanted to smack the smug out of his future brother-in-law's face.

"He's young and dumb," Carl said truthfully. "And he obviously likes Natalia. Although his actions are quite immature and playful, I can see he is sincere."

I narrowed my eyes, squinting at the expanse of the sea. It's almost noon and the heat did not help to alleviate my irritation. Rather it even intensified.

Carl had no idea about the relationship between Natalia and I. But I knew he was smart enough to guess something's going on. Otherwise, we wouldn't have this conversation.

"You're attracted to her." It was statement rather than a question. "She's a very sweet lady and deserves a man who can protect and love her,"

"And I am not that man?"

"I didn't say that. But come on, let's be honest, you are a jerk." He stated laughing.

His honesty did not offend me. But somehow the thought of not being capable of protecting and loving Natalia hit different. I did not plan on any of those things. The only reason she's with me was because of Chase. I should keep that in mind or else, I might fall in her innocent trap.

After lunch, we sailed to a nearby beach resort. I kept a safe distance away from them, sat in one of the foldable wooden chairs in the beachfront and lit a cigarette. I leaned back, propped my head on my left arm and closed my eyes.

"Care if I join you?" I heard Cynthia say. I took a deep breath and let out a long sigh.

"Told you I am not marrying you," I said.

Doing as she pleased, she occupied the seat beside me.

"I already picked my wedding dress,"

I opened my eyes and looked at her in disbelief. She's just not about to back down.

"We were engaged and now we're not. You left without a word and made a fool out of me. You think I will marry you after shaming me in the public?" I asked incredulously.

"I became a laughingstock for months!" I growled in anger. "I don't have the slightest interest with whatever you wear in your wedding. I am not your groom," I added, bringing the cigar in my mouth, inhaled enough to fill my mouth before puffing the thick white smoke out.

I watched as her slender fingers covered her nose and mouth. I grinned slightly. I knew she couldn't bear the smell of it. Wanting to get rid of her, I intentionally blew more smoke to her way, and she was out of breath as soon as I finished. I threw away the cigar stub.

"I still have cards under my sleeve. You're going to marry me no matter what,"

I stood up ready to leave but she swiftly ran after me, her fingers intertwined against mine. I heaved a sigh, exhausted of sending her away at every turn.

"Natalia and John will make a great couple, don't you think?" Cynthia flashed a smile looking at the pair laughing together. I stopped in my tracks, and she took the opportunity to rest her head against my shoulder.