Chapter 5

<5>

Adam's POV

"She said no." I breathed.

Peter sat across me and his face crumpled with worry.

"You told her about your condition?"

"She didn't believe me." I answered in irritation.

"Just what we have expected." He crossed his legs and leaned back. "Give her sometime. And you should get a few weeks vacation Adam."

"My business needs me." I scratched my brow and clicked my tongue. I still thought about her. Damn, she kept me awake all night.

"Leave it all to Carl. I'm sure your assistant can oversee the operation while you're gone. And ask some help from Georgia."

"I'm sure he'll just try to go with me, you know him. He doesn't care about work. And as for Georgia, she doesn't know anything."

Carl had been such a good friend but trust was something I couldn't grant to anyone.

"Still I insist on your vacation. It is a must. It'll help you." Peter stood up and went over his desk. "Did you take your meds?" He flicked through his papers.

I nodded.

"Did Chase appear?"

"No, I think the meds helped,"

"Carry your meds around with you all the time, take it every six hours." He reminded.

Afterwards, I returned to the office and called for a meeting. Every executive sat uncomfortably in the conference room. I refused to sit on my chair and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I'll be gone for a few weeks and I expect everyone of you to do your job. No room for mistakes, am I clear?"

Everybody nodded.

"What's going on? Why this sudden?" Carl questioned. His brows drawn together.

I turned to him who sat nearest.

"I need sometime off." I didn't elaborate. "I don't wanna receive calls. I'll leave Carl in charge."

I dismissed them and returned to my own office. Carl followed.

"Why?"

I shrugged my shoulders. I wished to keep my reason a secret. My condition might affect the way my people see me and there were enemies waiting to ditch me out of my position.

Although family ties and money were strong to preserve my position I needed to be extra heedful.

I walked to my desk and took a seat.

"I never had the chance to enjoy my childhood and teenage years."

Carl nodded. He brushed his chin. He knew well enough about my history, the domestic violence I gone through, and other personal matters I'd rather bury to the ground.

"Is Veronica coming with you?"

"She doesn't know."

"Why not? She'd be upset once she finds out."

"Just keep your mouth shut, I need sometime alone,"

"But wouldn't it be a good idea to have someone you can talk to while you're away? I can go with you." He offered.

"Carl, I'm not after companionship, I'm after some peace of mind."

Carl held up his hands. "Alright man, just suggesting. Let's have a drink tonight before you go."