Chapter 14

💋

The Woman in His Past

Adam's POV

Georgia sat on the couch, drumming her fingers on the armrest. I watched her carefully and wondered what on earth brought her here.

"How have you been?" She spoke at last, crossing her legs in an intimidating manner. Her hair was shorter than I remembered and face thinned. Or maybe it's just her make up that made her look thinner.

As always, her clothes, a black sleeveless top and penciled skirt had no trace of creases. Her gold ring shimmered as she lifted her cup of tea to her lips. She sipped, her eyes direct as she looked at me.

"I'm well." I answered tersely. "What do you want?" I directly asked.

Her eyes flew to my knuckles, the trace of bruises still there. "I heard you had fight in Maldives with Henderson." She spoke truthfully and she replaced her teacup on the saucer.

"As always you had me followed." I concluded, my temper slowly going up. "I wanted so bad to scrape the smugness off his face since I first met him."

"You always have a way to get revenge, haven't you?" She tightened her voice. "But this must come to a stop. I am not letting my only son throw away his life just to show off that his superior to the rest of the people around him." Even as she spoke, she had her temper in check but it was obvious in her expression that she's furious.

"I've hired bodyguards for you. They'll be on your tail wherever you go. Don't do anything that'll worry us." Georgia grabbed her bag and walked to the door.

"I don't need your bodyguards!"

She stopped on her tracks. "Then, you won't have Curtis's Group of Companies."

"I have my own business. I don't need your company to begin with."

"You're forgetting, my company is much larger than yours. In a snap of my fingers, I can crash it. You better start listening to me from now on."

I scoffed. "Because you can't control me, you're trying to blackmail me? I'm not someone you can control Georgia." I faced her and sneered. "And I'm not scared of what you're capable of. I'll do whatever I want because this is my fucking life!"

"Watch you words young man! I'm still your mother!" She warned. "Tomorrow is your father's birthday party. You have to come. Cynthia is coming too. It's a good chance to announce the engagement."

Cynthia's back?

"There's no engagement that'll happen!" I yelled after I recovered. "I told you to mind your own business, unless you really want to lose your son!"

That silenced her. She turned and faced me, her lips thinning. How could she say that woman's name in front of me? The woman who claimed to love me but left as soon as she found out about my past. Women were all the same.

"Still you have to show respect to your father. The party's at 8 in the evening. Show up in your best behavior. Your grandfather will be there." She left then.

I let out a long breath and went over to my desk. I grabbed my suitcase and smashed it against the table.

I loosened my tie and breath hard, calming myself. Just like my previous arguments with my mother, I lost again. I was sure she thought she's losing all the arguments, but it was the opposite. The one who's angrier was certainly the loser. My temper just flared everywhere no matter how much I controlled it.

I took time to calm down before I took my swivel chair and began the tedious work. My lack of focus irritated me more.

I didn't see Natalia this morning and I was worried she still hated me. But what did she want me to do? I needed someone last night and she was unwilling. Atleast Veronica was always there, patiently waiting for my call.