🜃 | sleep deep

Papers, books and scrolls were scattered all around the place. The room was an absolute mess and in the epicentre of it was a small kingdom. Its walls were made of towers of more books and pyramids of scrolls waiting to be read and thrown into the corner. The king was passed out, with his head resting on an already opened book.

On the ground, next to his feet lay a helmet, which he carried along everywhere in his wakened state. Not even its fall managed to wake him up. The thud caused no reaction, just a little stir.

A lone candle kept on illuminating the room, slowly burning to its end. Wax was flooding the area, leaving spots on some pages that were dangerously near.

The door behind the sleeping ninja slid open, revealing Cole, who was just in his pyjama pants. He rubbed his tired eyes and squinted inside the room, in the direction of the table. table, which was occupied most of the time by the same person for the same reason. Reason, he never understood, knew nothing about. Reason that also worried him, because it caused Kai to barely focus on anything else, even basic human needs.

A yawn escaped his lips as he walked up to his friend, quietly snoring and using a book instead of a pillow. Cole moved Kai's hair out of his face, which scrunched up in reaction. There was a quiet groan, meaning this was Cole's chance. Kai wasn't sleeping deeply.

"C'mon Kai, wake up, buddy." Some more groaning and a frown. Cole just sighed at that. "You know you can't sleep in here, your neck'll hurt."

"Lemme be, Cole." Kai's words were quiet, almost inaudible. Not to mention how he was incapable of proper articulation in his state. "I gotta... gotta do this..."

"Sleep in bed is what you gotta do, mister," Cole replied. He shook him gently by the shoulders. "Come on, Kai, you're too tired to read. It's the best thing you can do." They stared at each other, tired eyes into even more tired eyes, until Kai's started drowning in tears.

"I gotta figure it out, Cole," he managed to say. "I know the stamp from somewhere, I know I do, I gotta figure it out." He held onto Cole's waist weakly, crying onto his torso. Cole was shocked at first, Kai's tears almost felt like boiling water. Yet he held him back, one of his hands brushing through his hair in an attempt to comfort him.

"You will figure it out, Kai," he whispered to the poor ninja. "I can help you if you let me. But now you need to get some rest, honey. Please, I'm worried about you, this isn't healthy." There was no answer from the other man, just silent weak sobs. The earth ninja stared blankly at the small flame of the candle, as it danced to its demise, while he continued on stroking Kai's hair. It was so soft, to his surprise. Due to Kai's shift in focus, there was barely any time to stuff it with gel but it still was a different sensation. Although it was quite nice, he had to admit.

But hearing Kai so exhausted and broken was breaking his heart. If only there was a way he could help him. If only Kai let him help.

"Come to bed, Kai," he pleaded.

"I can't. I just... I can't walk."

"I'll carry you, okay?" Kai nodded. "But you gotta promise me you won't get out until the sun's up."

"Promise." Cole let go of him before ducking and picking him up. Kai immediately clung to his body like a sloth, slowly calming down. Yet Cole could still feel his body shaking. The candle wasn't left forgotten, for Cole blew it out. Can't risk setting the whole building ablaze.

With Kai in his arms, he walked out of the room, getting him away from the texts that occupied the red ninja's mind. The helmet was left alone on the ground. He listened to Kai's breath as it eventually calmed to a normal, steady rhythm. During the short walk, his eyes glanced at his face several times. Cole didn't want to stare. Not only because he would feel embarrassed if he got caught, but also because tripping and falling while holding a body also would not be very pleasant. Still, there was something almost hypnotic about how relaxed Kai's face seemed at the moment. Whenever they passed a light, the wet paths from tears would twinkle a little and remind Cole of what his fellow ninja is going through. But the relaxed expression brought him peace. He was sure they will get to rest properly soon. They will get it over with and then they can all get some rest and relax. It brought him hope for a better tomorrow.

It wasn't fair. They fought almost every day for their survival and to save the world. Kai and Nya especially. They had to fight since they were little. Sometimes, it was a fleeting thought, Cole wished they never had their powers. Or that there weren't any special powers in the world. Then they all could worry about smaller problems than life-threatening villains.

Then again, he would probably never get to meet the man in his arms.

Before that thought could get anywhere, he already got to Kai's room. It was messier than usual. Not surprising in Kai's current state. He was leaving mess everywhere normally, nowadays it was just worse.

Cole carried Kai all the way to his bed, where he laid him down on the mattress. If it wasn't for the moving chest, Cole would think he was dead. Instead of focusing on that thought, he took Kai's blanket and carefully put it over his body to keep him warm through the night.

One last look at his face.

"Good night, Kai."

And just as he was about to leave, excited to lay back down in his own bed, there was a voice.

"You're just gonna leave me alone?"

Cole turned back. Kai's eyes seemed closed, one could only assume he was asleep.

"Please," he said. "I don't wanna be alone."

He felt frozen on the spot.

"Cole."

So Cole went back to the bed that wasn't his own.

"Okay, but you gotta move."

There was some shuffling and rustling of the bedsheets until they both got comfortable enough to sleep. This time he was sure when Kai fell asleep, unlike him. It took Cole a while to fight his reeling brain and get properly tired again. Just before he was about to fall asleep as well, he could feel Kai snuggle up to him in his sleep. Cole smiled and put his arm around him, ready to sleep now that he knew Kai was getting some rest also.

But he was aware it will not be for long and that when he wakes up the next day, he will find the bed absent of Kai, who will be at the darned desk again.