🜃 | where you can shine

[justice for lou!! come on guys, have you not seen the royal blacksmiths?? he accepts him!! father love positivity!! (cause theres none in my life anymore lmao!!)]

His father knew about his sexuality ever since Cole was little – and it was one of the most freeing feelings in the world. After all, in this world, isn't having someone who you can lean on without having to put on any mask a gracious gift?

Cole always knew his parents were there for him no matter what, that he could always trust them with his problems.

Needless to say, Cole Brookstone was one lucky guy. Especially when his dreams came true and he got to be in a relationship with the most wonderful soul he ever stumbled upon.

And of course, Lou already knew everything about the one and there was no debate that he was going to meet him.

For Cole, it was almost like showing off his work. A proud kid pushing their picture into their parent's face. And while he would've loved to do that to the entire world, he respected Kai's wish to wait a little, to let him muster up the courage.

But in the Brookstone residence, Cole assured him, that was paradise for their love to bloom. They didn't have to hide anything there because his dad already loves him, just by what Cole had told him over the years.

“He's going to love you even more now,” Cole said, his excitement so radiant, he almost skipped all the way from Kai's house to his. And with Kai's hand in his own, that feeling only grew.

“Are you sure? I dunno, maybe he's got the wrong idea about me–”

“I told him everything that's true about you and he's been excited to meet you, you would have to try really hard to break his expectations.”

“You do tend to oversell me. I'm not as great and wonderful as you see me, you know?”

Cole stopped and turned to him, reaching to hold onto his free hand as well. He looked into Kai's eyes and hoped that Kai will see in them what he sees.

“Kai, I like you. I really, really like you and that's not going to change with some silly imperfection. 'Cause we all have them and they're what I like about you too. If you were perfect, what would there be interesting about you? We choose what we see as perfect and in my eyes, you're the perfect match for me. And that's just not gonna change, so deal with it, 'cause you have no other choice.”

And there it was. That gorgeous smile that was reserved for him and him only.

“Well, if you say so.” Kai rolled his eyes playfully, slightly pulling away from him. “I guess I can deal with it.”

Cole could only grin in response. He gave him a quick peck on the cheek and the pair was back on their way.

All of the excitement made him feel like a can of soda that was still being violently shaken. But it was a wonderful feeling.

Then finally, the oh so familiar door came to view and the excitement only grew. This wasn't only about showing his dad that he found an incredible other half for himself, but also about finally being able to tell someone that he and Kai were dating.

As Lou was at home preparing lunch, the door was unlocked. They entered, Cole leading the way, and the smell of fresh food filled their noses. Just another way to make Cole's day better.

“Hey Dad!” he yelled into the house, although he was certain Lou was in the kitchen. Kai seemed to take his time taking his shoes off but Cole didn't push him, allowing him to mentally prepare. Of course, in his own eyes, there was barely anything that needed preparation but he understood why Kai might be nervous. “We're here!”

There were a few clinks and then Lou came into the entrance hall, taking off his apron.

“Hello, son.” After shared a quick hug, Lou held him at arm's length and began to fix his hair, to which Cole tried to pry his hands off.

“Dad!” he groaned.

“Now, now, Cole, you have a guest here, try to look and act like it!”

“I just got home! And it's not like he hasn't seen me worse,” Cole argued. Despite knowing that his words were useless as Lou had a mind of his own, his father let him go. The attention shifted to the spiky-haired brunet that stood aside, as if trying to blend into the background. Cole wasn't sure whether he wanted to plant kisses all over his face because he seemed so adorable with his timid expression or because he wanted to make him feel better and relax. Perhaps both was good enough of an answer.

Lou stepped forward but Kai was faster than him, already taking his hand and shaking it. Suddenly, his energetic self was back, just like that.

“Hello, Mr Brookstone, it's really nice to meet you.”

“Ah, come on, call me Lou. It's really nice to meet you too, Kai.”

There it was. That familiar shy smile that Kai used to give him as well before they got together. Then Lou pulled Kai into a hug and Cole couldn't help but laugh at the way he yelped, tensed up at the action and eventually relaxed.

“So, is hugging this family's thing or what?”

“Yeah, I guess we're all big huggers. Just another thing you've gotta deal with.”

Kai chuckled, relief already filling his voice and body language. “I think I should start making a list then.”

“Cole, will you show our guest to the dining room? Lunch should be ready in a few minutes. And you, Kai, make yourself at home.”

The two boys nodded in agreement and Cole led his boyfriend to the dining room, where the table was already set. He noticed as Kai looked all around, scanning every inch of the house with his pretty eyes Cole simply couldn't get enough. A small smile crept onto his lips and his insides swelled once again with that warm feeling. As if a thousand butterflies made a victory dance inside him.

“See? I told you he's going to love you. Relax, we can be ourselves here,” he reassured his boyfriend once they sat down and he reached for his hand over the table. It was clasped in between both his hands, as if it were a pearl. Which was ridiculous because nothing – no pearls, no gold, no diamonds, no stars, no oceans – could ever compare to Kai.

“Yeah… yeah, I just– I really want to leave a good impression for once.”

“You will,” Cole replied with zero hesitation, his rock-solid conviction present as per usual. Raising Kai's hand up to his lips, Cole kissed the back of it and got a smile from Kai in return.

“I heard you're fond of spicy food,” said Lou as he walked into the room just as Cole lowered Kai's hand back down, carrying a pot that only intensified the pleasant smell that was spreading through his home. “Let's see how you fare with my spicy beef mechado.”

“Oh? Is that a challenge, Mr– Lou?” Kai smirked and as his dad shrugged with that look that always spoke for thousand words, Cole was, for the umpteenth time, glad that he had this place to come to.