🜃 | cheater

Shots were fired, swords, katanas and knives were swung, fists were balled, the place was filled with grunts and cries from pain...

And the red and the black ninja were smashing buttons with all their might. The two were just in another intense round of Fist to Face and neither of them was going to let the other win.

They had been occupying the couch for several hours now.

Cole could feel the soreness and tiredness settle in with each new round, and yet he persisted. Kai was absolutely consumed by the game to the point he barely spoke anymore. The only thing that could be counted as conversation were occasional curses (yelled by Kai) and, "Let's do another round, I'll get you this time!"

It was their last round (because Nya had enough of Kai's screaming and decided to give them a limit) and Cole was, honestly, starting to sweat. As his fingers slowly started whining in discomfort, he found himself fumbling over the buttons and missing hits. Kai, on the other hand, seemed to find power in the situation and it fueled him just like dry wood fuels fire.

That's when it hit him – not Kai's character, even though that was pretty close – he did know about Kai's weakness. He knew it very well.

And it's not like it's cheating – as far as Cole knows, there isn't a rule that forbids such things.

"Hey, Kai?"

"What," he said through gritted teeth, eyes glued to the screen. Kai's hands holding the controller were flailing all around the place as if he was a spider of some sort.

"Did I tell you that you look really pretty today?"

"What?"

"I just wanted to make sure you knew..."

"Why no– No."

"What?"

"Stop it."

"I'm not doing anything!"

"I know what you're trying to do and it won't work!" Unlike Cole, who kept stealing side glances at Kai, the red ninja never stopped burning the screen with his gaze. But he could see him crack already and Cole knew it was just a matter of time.

"You smell really great too, is that the new cologne?" he spoke nonchalantly.

"Shut up!"

"That tank top really suits you – but I didn't know you had anything other than red!"

"You know damn well it's yours, Cole," Kai grumbled. His frustration rose as he could see Cole get back into the game, making the match more even in progress.

With an evil smirk, the earth ninja leaned closer to Kai's ears, to the point his breath tickled his skin and caused shivers to run down Kia's spine.

"You know, it's great I'm finally not the only one showing off some muscles. And you look really handsome like that."

Kai coughed and squirmed in his seat. "Stop. Doing. This."

"I'm just saying, that new exercise is doing wonders, firefly."

The master of fire smashed the buttons of his controller in a desperate attempt to get out of the way of Cole's character – but it was in vain. With a last hit, the screen flashed in front of their eyes with the most haunting message Kai could see that day.

Dangerbuff wins!

Kai really felt like setting something on fire not only because of the burning rage he felt but also because of the burning of his own skin he could still feel.

"You fucking cheater!" he exclaimed as Cole took the controller from him and placed it on the table alongside his own. There was his usual soft smile on his lips as if he didn't just seduce Kai into losing.

"I didn't cheat," Cole said with a shrug and leaned into the backrest, completely content with himself. He put his hands behind his head and closed his eyes. Kai could only ball his fists and fume.

"You. Just. Did."

"I won. Fair and square."

"We both know that's not what happened."

"It's not m fault you got too distracted to pay attention to the game." Cole shrugged again.

"You did this to me!" But when there was no proper reaction coming from Cole, Kai crossed his arms and turned his back to him, scowling at the other side of the room. How dare he? Was this in any shape or form fair to Kai? No. No, not one bit. And all he did was just shrug it off. Kai could not believe it. Stupid Cole, can't even lose properly.

"Kai... you're hot."

"Yeah, you already said that." Has he not had enough?

"No... Kai, you're literally burning up. Did I make you that angry?" You know what? He can say whatever he wants, but Kai's not going to give him the satisfaction of receiving attention from the master of fire. Kai's better than that.

"Come on, sweetheart." But how could he when Cole's voice is sweet as honey? And his arms were wrapping around him like fast-growing hedera. Kai sighed and turned his head away, still trying to keep his angry self. However, he could feel that emotion melt away and as the competitiveness cooled down slowly, he found himself rather wanting to hear Cole talk to him more like he did a while ago.

Just purely for the ego boost, of course.

"Are you still mad at me?" Kai had to nod instead of saying his answer because he was pretty sure his voice would fail him and give away his true feelings. And he can't have that happen, right?

"Will a kiss change your mind?" he murmured into Kai's ear and the master of fire knew his cover was broken.

"Maybe," he piped. And Cole placed a kiss on the corner of Kai's mouth because he couldn't reach farther. "Kiss declined, sorry."

"You're gonna make this easier for me or do I have to cheat again?" Cole asked.

"Aha! So you admit you cheated!" In his excitement at the confession, Kai turned his head and Cole's lips took over his own as they became a closer target.

"Now I did," Cole whispered with a proud smile.

"I hate you."

"You sure about that?" Cole kissed him again and Kai turned in his arms to make it easier for the both of them. His neck was already killing him, no need to make matters worse, right? Also, he liked to feel his body pressed against Cole and in the previous position that wasn't it.

With each kiss, Kai slowly forgot why he was mad in the first place and what they were even doing in the room or where they even were. He hated the effect Cole had on him but he couldn't stop desiring more.

"Did you really mean those things?" he said between kisses.

"What things?"

"What you said before? To cheat and make me lose?"

"Of course I did."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," Cole breathed out. Kai stared into his twinkling eyes. There was this look in them again, the soft look that was reserved only for Kai. "You look great in black." He smiled at the sight of Kai's pink cheeks. "But to be fair, the lack of sleeves is pretty distracting. So, you're a cheater too."

"I didn't wear it to make you lose. I didn't even know we were gonna play!"

"I don't care, cheater." But before Kai could even frown at him, Cole kissed it away. "Are we good now?"

And Kai huffed, rolled his eyes with a smiley until he kissed his boyfriend back.

"For now," he replied. "But I'll get you next time, cheater."