🜂 | finishing touches

What is it about nights that make your mind wander? What is it about them? Is it the silence, that gives room for thoughts to speak? Is the tranquillity too much, that we feel the need to disturb it in some way, perhaps by thinking instead of sleeping? Night seems to be the perfect time to take your thoughts on a romantic walk.

This night wasn't any different and all Kai could do was let out a deep breath as he allowed his thoughts to go on said walk.

It was ages ago when it first started. Up until that moment, he didn't know many people. Nya was most of the time the only person he's spoken to, so, of course it was a weird feeling when he met the other three guys. He wasn't one to socialize, especially with some random guys that just attacked him. But there was just something about Cole. Maybe the way he was showing off, Kai couldn't not laugh.

Which resulted in getting a scythe pressed against his neck.

It's not like Kai liked it, but along with the look in Cole's eyes and his voice, something about the guy intrigued him. And at that time he was not able to place it. He just knew he was more careful around him from that time.

And little by little, there were more and more puzzle pieces.

It's okay, I just don't like physical touch, he told himself countless times and yet it never stopped being a lie. Nya and him hugged all the time, he always kissed her good night when she was little, he stroke her back when she wasn't in a good mood. And he didn't mind when she did the same, it felt nice and Kai liked it. Actually, he seeks it out quite frequently.

So, I don't know them well enough, that makes sense. Nya is my sister, that's a difference, right? he tried telling himself instead when the previous statement had to be admitted false. Unfortunately for him, even that slowly faded from truth to false. As he and the guys worked together and spent time together, he simply had to consider them as his closest friends, nay, brothers, because they were. This left him miserable afterwards because he could not understand what was it about Cole that always made him flinch when they touched but he also always wanted more.

Kai couldn't put a finger on it which was as if it planted a seed of frustration that grew and grew and grew. Not a great addition to his already pretty impulsive and explosive temper, accompanied by a severe case of hot-headedness with a big pinch of stubbornness. And it sprouted.

There was no explanation for what he did that day. None. He was simply overwhelmed with emotions and that particular day was pretty exhausting.

What was most fresh in his mind were loud cheers and applause and then Cole in his arms. Maybe he got a little carried away or maybe his friend turned into a magnet because he couldn't let go just like that. It felt nice and he was so happy and proud of Cole and his body did whatever it wanted and the voice of his consciousness was lost in the noise.

To be honest, that whole ordeal left him sleepless afterwards. He knew that Cole was bothered by his complicated relationship with his dad and he couldn't stand watching him suffer like that. Usually, whenever he went to touch Cole, there was some voice whispering. What, he couldn't say, it wasn't really comprehensible, but he knew it was there. That time, however, it was muted. All he saw was Cole feeling troubled and all he felt was the need to comfort him.

It was after that competition that Kai realised his odd fascination with Cole had some mysterious aftertaste and he couldn't decide whether or not he liked it.

Not so long after that, he, and apparently almost everyone else, noticed a strange habit they developed. One that fed the ground where the seed was sprouting and growing. They just simply had to touch each other all the time, didn't they? It was sick. It was an illness.