🜃 | mission successful

[umm... so this happened]

[peraltiago the ultimate blueprint]

.

"These outfits are ridiculous."

"Of course they are, I didn't have any say in it."

"If you did, they would be even worse. At least this way we blend in more. You would make us literal disco balls." Kai scoffed at his reply, some hair flying out of his face, and turned away to watch the designated spot. Cole only rolled his eyes at his reaction. Maybe it was harsh, but it was true. Nya shut Kai down the moment she saw how his face lit up at the mention of an undercover mission.

They all knew it would end terribly.

And as much as they both hated Jay's choice, it was somewhat of a good decision. But maybe it was also coming from the fact that they both were used to their gis or their own clothes they found comfort in. Whatever, it was just for that night, then they can give it back and never ever wear it again.

Cole crossed his arms and watched Kai's profile instead of the bench they were supposed to patrol.

"Are you cold?"

"No, just impatient is all." And to further confirm his words, Cole began tapping his foot. They were there maybe for half an hour but it was still boring. Uneventful.

If their mission was at least during the day, he could observe various visitors of the park, but at night? The only person that could be there was their target and maybe some drunk weirdos. Or maybe giggling couples, what does Cole know? It was dark, the only lamp being a few trees away, so not even nature could be properly observed. Not that there could be anything interesting about grass – be it wallowing in darkness or bathing in sunshine.

A huff.

"Can you stop it?"

"Nope. I'm bored."

"I'm too but at least I don't piss you off with it."

Cole shook his head. "Maybe they know we're here with the way your eyes are glued to the bench. We don't seem like somebody who would be at the park at this time."

"Then what do you want me to do, Brookstone?"

"Act less obvious."

"Wow." But even despite the sarcastic tone, Kai turned back to him, leaning against the backrest to appear more casual. "Remind me – why am I stuck with you again?"

"Remind me – what the hell did I ever do to you?"

Kai rolled his eyes. "You're so annoying."

"And I don't see the problem you have with me."

"You're constantly tapping your foot. It's getting on my nerves!"

"You're doing the exact same thing!" Kai only huffed and rolled his eyes again, but his foot – as well as Cole's – didn't stop. the red ninja (lacking any signs of red at the moment) checked the watch they were given by Zane, then glanced to the bench, then looked back in Cole's direction.

"They should be here any minute." Cole only nodded in response.

It took several more whiles of the suffocating silence, interrupted by cars in the distance and some loud people that passed by when Cole noticed a movement behind Kai. And sure enough, there was their suspect, talking to someone. He didn't have to worry about the matters of their conversation since they planted several bugs there beforehand. Their job was to wait, observe, make sure everything goes smoothly and intervene only if things go south.

"Flies are in the web," Cole muttered, nodding his head in their direction ever so slightly he could only hope for Kai to pick up on it. Which he seemed to do – but unfortunately, he turned to look their way, which gained their attention. Cole tensed as the pair had a stare-down with Kai and he tugged on his sleeve to turn back around.

"Kai. Kai turn back you're gonna sabotage this whole thing."

"Yeah, I know," he muttered back and it brought Cole's attention to Kai's tense posture. "Quick, do something!"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Fuck's sake, Cole, just kiss me I don't fucking know!" So he did. And Kai quickly pulled away. "What the hell?"

"You said to kiss you!"

"I thought you would be better at improvisation when you keep mocking me for it!"

"I think they're still looking."

And the brunet – whose hair was black for the night – groaned and rolled his eyes before he pressed his body on Cole's and kissed him with so much passion Cole almost forgot it was just to take cover. It didn't even feel like an act – Kai cupped his cheek and smiled into the kiss and... He felt Kai's hand slide over the waistband of his pants and his breath hitched as goosebumps spread over his back.

But he found himself kissing Kai back with perhaps similar vigour. He found himself rather enjoying how Kai's lips brushed against his and how he didn't mind their tongues meeting and how Kai's skin burned in the cold night air and how strong his muscles were and when did he even get so handsy?

He felt how Kai's breath quivered as he travelled with his hand up but neither of them stopped, neither of them seemed to mind, neither of them bothered to check the situation, neither of them tried to break the kiss, neither one of them opened their eyes for just a second, both too lost in whatever was just happening.

He felt Kai's leg between his own but he didn't feel how the armrest dug into his back because Kai's hand was still teasingly brushing just on the edge...

Cole has never been kissed like this, probably. Or at least he couldn't recall it at the moment. then again, he couldn't recall anything at the moment, really. All he felt was Kai's burning skin and his soft lips and his wild hair and every cell that made contact with Kai combusted and he felt like a bunch of fireworks in the sky and his mind was wiped clean, he couldn't even remember where or why they were in the first place. He couldn't hear anything, not the rustle of the wind, not the cars driving outside the park, nothing besides whatever sounds Kai made, nothing besides his breath and the thumping of his heart that seemed dangerously erratic.

However, when they did finally break from the trance, their suspects were long gone and the park went back to normal. Without a word, Kai brushed his hand (that just moments ago was toying with his bare back) through his hair (that just moments ago was being caressed by Cole's own hands) to make it look less dishevelled. He tried to fix his wrinkled clothes, Cole eventually following suit when he caught his breath again.

They both wiped their mouth and walked over to the bench without uttering a single word, without making a single sound because there was something fragile lingering in the air and if either one of them did anything to break it, the sky would probably fall on their heads.

They both picked back up all of the bugs and hidden micro-cameras, happy to see that they didn't seem to be discovered.

They both got back in the car Pixal gave them and rode back to the base, the radio singing on its own because they didn't turn it off before. Neither of them dared to turn it off but the singers' voices felt out of place.

Cole wasn't sure if Kai felt it too – the tingling in his arms, the strange weight in his gut, the strange thought (muffled, muffled, tape over its mouth) that maybe, maybe what happened felt good, that maybe, maybe if... if it were to happen again...

But he couldn't see his face because they were both facing the road in front of them, refusing to move an inch.

It was too dark in the car, the only light being the controls and the small radio screen. The light back home almost burnt his eyes. But they were glassy for a whole other reason.

They both agreed the mission went well, they collected necessary intel, they got back safe, they got the bugs and everything and Zane can go through it, they both need some rest because it's so late, they're both fine, they both don't want dinner leftovers.

The mission went well and nothing bad happened. No one bothered them with more questions once they got their answers. the mission was successful.