🜃 | up in the mountain

When Cole walked in, Kai was doing what he was always doing. Letting the flock of aurutels – tiny creatures, almost fairy-like, with their bodies glowing gold at all times – pamper him, making them do the simplest tasks for him. Like feeding him grapes, for example. It was to no surprise the people down there associated ginger cats with him. Perhaps a coincidence, but a well fitted one.

The moment he noticed him walking to the free seat, Kai lit up, beckoning him close, as if that wasn't Cole's plan in the first place anyway.

“Cole, dear, come here and join me! What a great timing, I was just enjoying some little relaxation.”

Cole had to raise a brow at that. He made himself comfortable on the red chaise lounge with gold detailing. They all may have poked fun at Kai's love for comfort and extravagance but Cole had to admit that at least he made it look good. The only source of light allowed in Kai's part of the mountain was, of course, fire. Torches, candles, campfires illuminated the place, making everything shiny and golden twinkle like stars in the sky. Anyone could find a place to get comfortable and rest here. Usually, most gods' chambers included some sort of a pool or a fountain. Kai's was an exception – the closest thing were patches of hot sand. Hot enough to warm you up and help you get even lazier but not too hot to burn anyone.

“When are you not enjoying some little relaxation?” he replied, earning a chuckle and a shake of his head from the fiery deity.

“Everyone makes fun of me but they all come crawling back…” he mutters before turning his attention back to Cole. “What brings you here? My sands? Or did I busy all of the aurutels? because I swear I saw even a bigger flock head Jay's direction not that long ago!”

“None of that. I came here to talk.”

“Oh.” Kai waved the aurutels off and they didn't hesitate to abandon their jobs, leaving the two alone, surrounded by the cracking fire. Cole was famous for his talks all around the mountain. “Are you sure you want to talk? I may have a more fun activity in mind…” That was the charm of the god of fire. He never noticed when he pushed his won chaise lounge closer or when he began affectionately caressing him. But Cole just waved his hand off just how he waved off the aurutels.

“Why are you so harsh with them? Why won't you give them a break sometimes?” Going straight to the point was the best way to dodge the fireball. At least for now.

“It worked the last time…” Kai mumbled before sighing and replying, “I'm not harsh, just giving them some challenges to overcome.”

“But does it have to be all the time?”

“Hey, I didn't hear you complain about this with someone like Nya for example!”

“You're doing that all the time, Kai. If you're not here busying all the aurutels, you're burning stuff down.” The calm delivery of his speeches was one of the reasons they got so famous. Another reason was the fact how easily Cole could get under anyone's skin.

“Come on, lighten up, it was just one little house and no one was even there! What's the biggie, big guy?”

“Just the other day you burned several acres of a forest, for example. You're lucky no one can be bothered trying to make a list of it all.”

“Bolobo can take care of it.” Kai looked as if they were discussing weather as he chewed on the grapes one of the aurutels dropped into his lap.

“Kai.”

“Cole.”

They stared at each other, Kai batting his eyelashes for good measure, when Cole sighed and shook his head.

“All I'm saying is, you could lay off them every once in a while.”

Kai seemed to think for a moment, his cheeks moving as he bit on their insides. He clicked his tongue and turned to Cole, the playful glint in his eyes present as per usual.

“Fine, since you ask so nicely, I'll be nicer to them a little.”

Cole had his doubts but he nodded anyway. “Thank you.”

The deity clad in bright red was right next to him, warmth emitting from his entire body as he began stroking Coke with his fingers again.

“You told them to–”

“I always tell them that when you come in,” Kai replied with a wink. “We have this entire super comfortable place full of wonders all fo ourselves, it surely would be a shame to just talk and not explore all the wonders, right?”

Cole shook his head disapprovingly but the smile on his face betrayed him and his entire act was up the moment he kissed Kai back.

The mountain's gossip about him catching the negative influence like an illness might have a point. But after all, what did he have to worry about up here in the clouds (literally and figuratively)?