🜂 | everyone abhors you (at least they do)

[down the drain...]
.

Cole was still holding him when the two came back. By that time, the rest of the team stood there alongside the earth and fire ninja and they all waited for some news.

"They're gone," announced Lloyd gloomily once he and Jay caught their breaths. However, before anyone could react to the news (Kai felt a pit swallow his insides), the green ninja continued, "But we did find what might be one of their secret hideouts. That's where we lost them, so it's possible it's connected to more."

"We should probably go check it out before they try and get rid of their traces," offered Nya, slamming her fist into her hand, ready to take action as fast as possible.

"That's exactly what I was going to say."

"Wait, so we all go?" Cole spoke up before anyone could turn around and run away. Kai tried to get out of his arms but Cole's grip only tightened. Just like traps do. Just like when you get caught and all your desperate attempts to free yourself only backfire.

"Well, it would be good to have as much power on our hands as possible but maybe it's not the worst idea to have someone stay back. You know, in case this is only a distraction."

"Lloyd has a good point, there is a certain possibility they are counting on us on following them."

"All right, so." Lloyd clapped his hands together and looked at his team. His gaze lingered on Kai, who was still weakly wrestling with Cole but the moment the red ninja looked back at him, Lloyd avoided his eyes.

"Cole, you and Kai can stay at the monastery and look out for anything suspicious with Pixal. Everyone else, come with me before it's too late." When he got a nod from Cole, he led the others along with Jay to where they lost their suspect.

Kai, finally having enough, ripped his arms from Cole's hands and crossed them, looking after his team that was disappearing into the sleeping city. He was very well aware of what Lloyd has done and as much as he loved his little brother, he wasn't going to forgive him for this one that easily.

"Kai, come on, let's go," said Cole from behind him. He glanced at him to see his hand with which he reached out. While he wanted to be furious with everyone, part of him whispered that it wasn't a smart thing to do, that it would just prove their point, and so he took Cole's hand and let him lead the way back home.

That was, however, where he gave up and got angry despite whatever that voice whispered to him. Why should he listen to it? What did it know? He was hurt! Despite everything, they deemed him not stable or strong enough to go with them! Him! The fire ninja!

He slammed the door of his room shut and gripped the edge of his desk as he leaned over it, trying to breathe out his anger despite being aware that it won't work and he's just risking setting the poor piece of furniture on fire. As far as Kai was concerned, setting something on fire would only make him feel better but they would judge and it would create a cursed cycle. There is just nothing more satisfying than watching his own element destroy even the things he himself wouldn't be able to. Watching those flames carefully hug its prey; lick it, as if it wanted to reassure it that it's safe now; feed onto its life and grow, grow stronger until nothing can stop it.

"Hey, at least we've got some free time together – as long as Pixal doesn't spot anything, that is." There was a hand on his shoulder. As calming as it was, Kai was freaked out – or perhaps angry with himself for not noticing it – that he never saw Cole come into his room. He was so consumed by his own anger (just how wood gets consumed by fire; his own element turned against him – who can you trust anymore?) that he didn't notice anything.