🜂 | wallbreaker

[if you remember the au i talked about in stonebreaker, this is a prequel to the story that would never be in the book if i ever get around to actually write it all. so yeah anyway it just was on my mind all day today so...]

Kai's eyes scanned the room. Servants were already taking care of all the mess that was left behind – plates and trays with leftover food scattered all around the tables, empty glasses and goblets, stained tablecloths...

The band was still there, their instruments still ready if there was a reason for them to play.

Which there wasn't. It was late, the ball was long over and none of the guests stayed behind. There was just the king, his personal guard, the band and the servants. Who could be possibly dancing at this hour in the middle of the unpleasant mess?

"Dance with me," Kai told his guard, making him break the statue-like stance. On one hand, it was admirable how dedicated he was to his job. On the other, Kai was quite disappointed for some unknown reason. He had several personal guards and he paid them as much mind as he paid everyone else. But Cole... there was something strange about him.

Kai tried to explain it as pure curiosity. After all, Cole was the only Shintarian he had met.

But his interest seemed to stem from something else. He didn't think about Shintaro when he thought about, looked at, or spoke with Cole. It was the last thing on his mind.

He wanted him to talk to him without having to initiate the conversation. He wanted to spend time with him – and not just be in his presence because it was his duty.

"I don't believe that's in my description of work," Cole replied curtly, having looked away from Kai.

"But I want to dance with you."

"There isn't even music. Not to mention you should be going into your chambers and not roaming around like this at such a late hour."

"I'm not a little prince, you know?" Cole sent another glance his way and huffed. Kai wanted to break the walls again, just as he had done several times before. Why did he have to build them back up each and every time?

Kai turned to the band and waved at them. They seemed to be confused by his request but obliged – because it was their job, just like everyone else's. The only person who disobeyed him was Cole – if refusing to dance could be considered disobeying. Well, it wasn't obeying the king's orders, that is for sure.

"Dance with me," he said again, putting emphasis on his tone to show it wasn't a question. And Cole sighed and followed him.

Of course, it was not going to be the best dance due to the armour that surely was uncomfortable to move like so in. Kai hated it. It felt like another wall and he could not get rid of that one unless he wanted to endanger him. Which was the last thing Kai would ever wish for.

So, even though he could not feel his hand the way he would like to, he held it and took the lead. Several of the torches were extinguished with the end of the ball but Kai still felt warm and light inside when Cole put his other hand on his waist just like he did.

The music was louder than before, having no competition, no crowds to chatter over it. And yet, Kai still perceived barely any of it.

Their gazes were glued together, Kai searched for every small detail in Cole's eyes. He examined his face so many times, the bushy eyebrows, the lashes, the two-coloured eyes, the scar, the nose, the mouth, the hair, it was all burned into his mind already and despite all that, there was always another detail to be discovered.