🜂 | dead leaves and the dirty ground

[damn, two times in a row? sorry lol 🧍‍♂️]

.

"No!" came a rumbling roar that made Kai's body feel like the ground during an earthquake. His eyes were squeezed shut as he braced himself for the expected impact. He assumed everyone was doing the same thing. What else was there to do? They were hopeless. But the family in front of his closed eyes was smiling and that was all that mattered to him.

And as he waited, as he held his breath in the sick anticipation, nothing came. He waited and waited and still nothing. Was this how dying felt like? It didn't feel like anything? There actually wasn't any pain? Was this is?

Slowly, he dared to open one eye. Kai wasn't even sure what he was expecting. His home? The sky and clouds? Fire? The monastery? Perhaps the First Spinjitzu Master? And then he opened the second eye as well. And his mouth followed their example. He couldn't believe his eyes. None of them could.

In front of him stood Cole, the earth ninja's back facing them, with his arms raised up against the falling stalactite-like rocks. The rocks, which were just mere moments ago falling were now frozen in the air, just few centimetres above them. Kai wouldn't need to raise his hand up all the way to touch one of them.

And it began to snow.

Except, instead of snow, it was some sort of dark sand falling on their heads, forcing Kai and the rest of the team to cover their eyes. The stones crumbled under Cole's power into smaller and smaller bits until they turned into the harmless dark sand. Kai has never seen anything like it; he has never seen Cole do anything like it.

And just like that, the threat was over. They were safe. And no one lost their life – which was a huge turn of events, considering everyone expected to die that moment.

"Cole! You– you saved us!" Kai laughed in disbelief as he scamrbled up on his legs and rushed over to hug Cole, who just turned around. But even as he embraced him like his life depended on it, something felt wrong. And he stumbled under Cole's weight.

"Kai."

He didn't pay any mind to the others that stayed behind, all of his focus was on Cole, along witht the unsettling feeling that began lurking in his gut. Kai found himself holding his breath again.

"Cole?" His knees must've given out since Kai almost fell – had that not been for Zane, who helped him keep his ground. Together, they carefully lay Cole down, allowing Kai to finally notice the stalactice sticking out of Cole's abdomen. He gulped and tried to steady his breathing. Zane moved into his sight to look over the wound and Kai had to thank the First Spinjitzu Master that he couldn't look at it anymore, because he probably wouldn't be able to tear his gaze away.

Instead, he looked into Cole's half-lidded eyes and the panic overtook him.

"Cole, Cole, look at me." He patted his cheek, gaining Cole's attention. Kai didn't bother tring to figure out why the sight broke his heart. "Stay with me, okay? We'll– Zane'll take care of this, okay? And then you can rest, all right?" He heard the others gather around them but he never looked away, he never acknowldged them in the slightest because all he could see were Cole's unfocused eyes. Taking Cole's hand in his, Kai kissed his knuckles.

"You're incredible," he whispered. All of his will was focused on ignoring the panic that wanted to explode inside of him. He was avoiding all of the thoughts and scenarios, trying to be there for his earthling.

"Stay with us, okay?"

"Kai." He gave Zane only a quick glance but the ice ninja held him by the shoulder and the cold spread. "Kai," they said again and Kai hated the look in their eyes. In their icy blue eyes piercing his the way the stalactite pierced Cole's body. They shook their head ever so slightly, making Kai's world spin. He looked away.

"Stay with me, Cole, all right? You're so strong, just hold on a little longer, please. We can– they can– Hold on."

When was Jay kneeling on the other side? When did he take Cole's other hand in his? And when did Nya hug him from the opposite side than Zane was? When did Lloyd do the same for Jay? His mind was too hazy, too spinning, too preoccupied to process other perceptions. Yet he still felt how the two elemental masters were cooling him from their sides and Kai hated his fire being forced to retreat like that.

He watched as Cole looked around; as he lingered with his gaze at each of their faces until he stopped back at Kai's. He watched as a smile slowly crept its way onto his face at the same time tears welled up in those beautiful eyes.

And his mouth opened but no word came out, only painful silence but it was fine because Cole had to save his energy for later anyway. Instead, he felt his hand be squeezed and by the movement he saw out of the corner of his eye he guessed Jay felt the same thing.

Kai flinched when the fingers brushed through his hair but soon enough he leaned into the cold, calloused palm, not daring to close his eyes. They didn't need words and Kai couldn't decide whether or not he hated that. He wanted to hear his voice, he wanted him to say something but he also wanted him to save as much energy as he could. He just stared into the brown and green eyes and they stared back. Kai felt Cole's grip loosen but he held the hand there with his own.

Fire leaned his forehead against earth's and their tears mixed into one but it was fine because they were together and alive and well because Cole heroically saved them and once they get home, Kai was going to make sure he makes Cole the best cake which they will share in his bed while he gets a nice rest and Kai wraps his hands around him.

And Cole's warm breath sent shivers down his spine.