XI ; SUMMER BREAK

𝟯:𝟯𝟰𝗮𝗺

"WAIT, WHY DO YOU GET OFF EARLY TODAY?" suna fidgeted with the strap of his crocs with right foot as you organized your checkout counter

"i have to move out of my dorm for the summer," you said with a pre-exhausted sigh, "you've seen my room, i have to pack up all of that shit by tomorrow night."

"...that's only an afternoon, how are you gonna do that?"

"very carefully and quickly," you said making suna roll his eyes.

"okay, smartass," he muttered under his breath, "you don't seem very happy about going back home. normal kids are excited to see their families."

"okay so my dad's dead,"

his face instantly dropped.

"and i hate my mom. i like my brothers and sisters though so it's fine; i'll survive a second time...hopefully," as you mumbled the last part you started taking off your brown apron.

"want me to drive you to your dorm?" he offered as you locked your register.

"no," you said with a sigh as you adjusted the alarm system, "but when you walk me to the stop you'll just try to scare me into letting you drive me." you grabbed your tote bag and threw it over your shoulder.

suna walked out of the store before you as you locked up for the night. you looked up at him as you waited for his rebuttal.

"the bus is dangerous—in las vegas a guy held everyone on the bus captive with a knife." he explained as he walked beside you. you just simply rolled your eyes as you adjusted the sleeves of your hoodie.

"what does that have to do with me? i live in japan."

"...the point is that it can happen anywhere...to anyone." he stopped as he noticed that you did.

"fine."

"..?"

"drive me home before i change my mind," you turned on your heels and started walking to the parking garage as suna followed with a small victorious smile.

in the dark car, you sat in the passenger seat as you scrolled through suna's spotify playlist to pick a song. shortly after pretty little birds by sza started to play through the car's speakers softly.

as you sunk back into the seat with a small yawn, he looked over at you as a question sat in the back of his throat—itching to come out.

"why do you hate your mom?" he asked as you tensed up in your seat.

"..."

he internally kicked himself, so he quickly tried to reroute the conversation. "you don't wanna go home...so why don't you stay with me...?" he asked cautiously as he kept his eyes on the road, nervous to hear your answer.

you slowly turned away from the window to face him. your e/c eyes bored into the side of his face as he didn't dare budge. "...what?"

still avoiding your gaze suna began to explain, "i have two extra rooms at my place—well one. my sister claimed it," he disapprovingly shook his head at the thought, "but i have another one that's for guests. you can have it for the summer if you want."

"suna...i can't-"

"it would be closer to your job and you wouldn't have to walk around in the dark," he said as he pulled up to the curb of your residence hall. the a/c of the car filled the silence as you two looked over at each other. your eyebrows were furrowed as suna's eyes held an expectant look within them.

"i can't. i've done it before...i can do it again." you said with a sigh as you unbuckled herself.

reluctantly he nodded. he knew there was no point in trying to sway you, you were to obstinate for your own good. "fine," he sighed, "but i'll be back tomorrow afternoon to help you drop your stuff off."

"thanks," you said from outside the car through the opened window, "don't come here tomorrow." you held an expression that could best be described as a mother telling her kids 'you better not' telepathically.

"i'm coming tomorrow. morning" he said as he rolled the window up as you deadpanned.

"good morning," you muttered before turning away from the car to walk towards the doors of your residence hall. as soon as you entered the sound of muffled rap music and skidding cars found your ears as suna drove off.