Chapter 26: Chili Dog Day Afternoon

"Building takes teamwork, and a team needs a coach, and that's me! Sonic, hold that support strut horizontal." Amy orders.

"Since I'm the judge of this year's chili dog cookoff, I don't think I should help. I have to stay impartial." Sonic says.

"Yes, Sonic, but no stage, no contest. No contest, no chili dogs to judge." I say, holding the other support strut. Amy nods in agreement.

"Tails, Knuckles, get to it." Sonic says. They end up catapulting Sonic into Amy into me.

"Ugh..." I hold my head.

"I don't have time for this. I need Tails to prep the collar planks, and Knuckles to get the joist hangers, and Sticks to get more sticks." Amy states.

"Ta-da!" Tails smiles. The stage is now complete.

"Thanks for keeping Amy busy so we could finish." Knuckles says.

"Anything for a free chili dog." Sonic replies.

Amy notices that there is a banana sticking out of the stage.

"What's that?"

"Don't! That's a load-bearing banana." Tails exclaims. She pulls the banana out, and the stage collapses.

"Who builds with a banana?" She asks.

"Only a total dumb-dumb." Knuckles says, taking a bite out of a plank.

"Bananas give me splinters in my gums."

"That's it. I'll build the stage myself." Amy exclaims.

"I'll help you, Amy." I offer. She smiles.

(Time Skip)

"Ha! And that, my friends, is a stage. Guys?" Amy looks around.

"They've probably gone to meh burger or something." I say. With that we head over to Meh Burger.

(Time Skip)

"If you win, I'll wear the trophy upside down on my head like a hat for a year." Tails says to Knuckles.

"No way! My trophy, my hat." Knuckles argues.

"No. Knuckles, I think he's trying to... just wear the hat." Sonic sighs.

"Eat 'em and weep, losers. I'm winning this year's cookoff with my super-secret chili recipe." Dave says proudly.

Sonic takes one bite and can decipher or the ingredients immediately.

"Ketchup, wasabi, and chunks of expired pigeon meat."

"Lucky guess." Dave walks away. Me and Amy walk up and sit the rest of the gang.

"We finished the stage. Praise us."

"Thanks girls."

"Nice job."

"Can it be used as a flotation device in the event of a water landing?" We all stare at Sticks.

"We'll see who's staring when that thing lands in the ocean!" She exclaims.

"We don't need a judging stage. I've got the contest in the bag." Knuckles places a small wooden box on the table.

"I thought you said it was in the bag." Tails says.

Knuckles opens the box, revealing a blue drawstring bag.

"Yeah, who am the smart one now? That's a rhetorical question, by the way. The answer is, of course, me am." He pulls a smaller box out of the bag and opens it, revealing an orange and black striped pepper.