Chapter 33

Vera pov...

We were lying in bed in my house in New York. We had arrived later than expected due to me throwing up the whole morning. Tomorrow i was going to clear out my office and Chris was coming with to help me... Which i was nervous about due to the behavior of my now former colleagues. My boss had reacted saying that he wasn't surprised but that he was sad to see me go... Despite that he wished me all the best in the future and that i always had a place there and if i ever needed a recommendation to call him. He had been the only one who hadn't changed his behavior towards me...

I lay with my head on Chris his chest tracing circles on his chest. "What are you going to do with the house..." Chris murmured and i sighed. "I dont know yet... I dont have to sell it... I dont want the hassle of renting it out... Maybe we could just keep it for when we need to be here..." I whisper. 

"I dont think i can say fully goodbye to the house just yet..." I murmur a few minutes later. "Even if i dont want to life her anymore it just holds to many memories to sell..." I whisper. "You dont have to sell it gorgeous... I was just wondering..." Chris murmured. 

"This used to be my grandparent's room but when i turned 12 they switched rooms with me as this was the room with the on-suite bathroom... and every young lady needs her own bathroom my grandma had said..." I whisper and smile at the memory... 

"They sound as lovely people... makes me a little sad that i never get to meet them." Chris whispered and i let out a little sigh. "Me to..." I murmured and all of a sudden, an idea popped into my head and got off the bed and walked to the bookcase in the living room. I grabbed one of the old photo albums and crawled back into bed sitting up with the photo album in my lap. 

Chris pushed himself up and i cuddled into him as he wrapped one arm around me. Chris sat there just listing to me as i told the stories behind the pictures as all the good memories came back to me. He laughed when i told him about the picture of me and grandma all dolled up as we had been playing dress up all day and my grandpa coming home from work and had smiled and took us 'girls' out to dinner because such fine young ladies needed to be treated to a fancy dinner. 

When i turned the page, my face changed as it was a picture of me and my dad you could see i was uncomfortable around him and he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but with me. I quickly turned the page as i did not want to cry anymore.... But it was too late... I cried while Chris held me and i let it all out... I hated crying over that man feeling like he didn't deserve my tears and yet they were here... 

Chris asked about my mother but i told him i didn't know much either other than she had left after i was born... "From what i had heard over the years... She and my dad had a rocky relationship and she never really wanted kids or maybe she just didn't want kids with my dad... but whatever it was the conclusion was simple... She didn't want me... She just packed her stuff in the middle of the night and told my dad i was his problem now... At first, we were close... but when his new wife... then girlfriend came into the picture, and we didn't get along he started resenting me i guess... I stood in the way of him and his newfound family and well you know the rest... He married her 2 days after dropping me off here..."  I said letting out a sigh. 

"Grandpa had confided in my a few months before his dead that they had contacted my mother a few weeks after dad had dumped me at my grandparents, but she made it clear... She didn't have a daughter and she didn't care what would happen to me... I was their problem not hers..." I mumbled.  

"Over the years they tried to convince my father to keep in touch with me... But after dropping me off he never showed much interest anymore... He had his new perfect family... Even though his new wife treated me like crap.... He still chose her and her daughters over me and like i had said he only showed interest again when he found out about the will... Even his wife and her daughters tried to guilt trip me in giving them the house..." I said taking a deep breath before continuing somehow it felt good to let it all out and it was nice having someone listening... Without judgement or interfering... Chris just sat there rubbing my back letting me get it all out...

 "But just as my grandma made my grandpa promise... Grandpa made me promise to not give him more than the dollar he had left him..." I said taking a deep breath as i felt telling Chris all this was taking its toll and i had to fight to keep my eyes open. 

We were quiet for a while. Chris kissed the top of my head. "I am so sorry gorgeous no kid should feel unwanted by their parents... But i am happy you had your grandparents they sound like great people... And fun..." Chris said smirking as he turned the page and a picture of my grandpa laughing with grandma appeared. I smiled at the picture. 

"Yes, the house was always filled with laughter... My grandpa was so funny with his, but grandma was always the live of the party... Always up for some mischief... She was far ahead of her time... She hated the whole typical housewife thing even though she was a housewife... My grandpa told me that she only agreed to marry him if he promised that she would never have to do the dishes... So, every night after dinner that my grandma had cooked my grandpa did the dishes. While grandma and i had a dance party in the living room... and after he was done with the dishes, he would dance one dance with my grandma..."  I said with the biggest smile on my face.