chapter 84

Chris pov...

36 weeks pregnant and uncomfortable it he main word to describe her. She is napping a lot trying to get as much rest as possible, but the girls are keeping her up. She is more emotional by the day. Yesterday she cried because the delivery guy forgot her fries... The look on the guy's face was priceless. After she waddled off with her burger, he promised to bring them over right away and when he came back, she cried because he went to all this trouble... I gave him a big tip and he left utterly confused.

Right now, she is folding laundry even though i said she shouldn't but she feels useless so i had put the laundry basket with clean clothes on the bed so she could do it at her own pace... I went quickly to for a walk with Dodger. I mostly planned this when she was asleep but today, she was more restless then normal. "Sorry buddy no big walk today..." I said when he looked at me annoyed for already walking back to the house. 

I walk into the bedroom where Vera is standing holding on to her belly. She sees me and looks at me scared. "Something is wrong..." She says with tears in her eyes and i dont hesitate... "Okay let's go..." I say and she nods. I know it is serious... Because for her to not put up a fight...  Not to mention the look of fear in her eyes...

I help her to the car, but she has to pause... halfway because of a sharp pain. I have to fight to keep my own panic under the wraps. When i finally have her in the car i drive as fast as safely possible to the hospital. I call the hospital on the way, and they tell us to come directly up to the maternity ward. 

"It is going to be okay gorgeous... I just think the girls are coming" I say taking her hand in mine. "It is going to be okay..." I murmur... more to myself than to her this time. She looks so scared and in pain... I hate it. "Chris, it hurts..." She says on the verge of tears.

"I know gorgeous... We are almost there..." I say squeezing her hand a little bit. "Just breath gorgeous... Like we have practiced..." I say and she starts to breathe through the pain. 

When we arrive in at the hospital i quickly get a wheelchair and help her in it. We make our way to the maternity floor and get greeted and led to a room immediately. As the doctors do all sorts of tests i call Scott to please pick up Dodger from our house because we dont know how long we are going to be here. And to please call the rest of the family like we had agreed on as i didn't want to... I wanted all my focus to be on Vera and my girls. 

All of a sudden nurses and doctors start running into the room and i follow them wondering what the hell is going on. It is chaos and i dont know what is happening and when i look at Vera i can see she is just as scared as i am. "Mr. Evans we are going to take her up to the operating room for an emergency c section... The babies are in trouble, and we have to get them out now. "Isn't that to early..." I ask as my heart sinks and i have to try my best to keep breathing. "We have no choice one of the babies is having trouble and we have to... She is 36 weeks pregnant the babies should be okay..." The doctor says. I nod and quickly give Vera a kiss on her forehead in an effort to comfort her but i can see she is just as scared or maybe even more than me... 

"You can go with the nurse to get changed so you can be with your wife." He says and i nod again. "Chris i am scared..." Vera whispers. "I know gorgeous... but i will be right with you okay... Everything is going to be okay... Just think like this... We are going to have our girls today..." I whisper and give her a little smile and she gives me a little smile back. "I love you gorgeous..." I whisper. "I love you to..." She says and i watch her get wheeled away. 

They take Vera to the operating room and a nurse takes me to get changed. I am nervous as the nurse helps me to get into the sterile clothing. "You are going to be great..." She says and i let out a sigh. "It is okay to be nervous..." She says smiling. "I am going to meet my girls today..." I say smiling with tears in my eyes. The nurse chuckles. "You're going to be in trouble..." She says chuckling. "I have heard that before..." I say and the nurse chuckles again. 

She brings me to the operating room and i sit down beside Vera who looks at me scared. I take her hand in mine and kiss her forehead. "It is going to be okay..." I say and smile at her. "This is not the way it was supposed to go..." She whispers. "I know gorgeous... I know... but in a little while we are going to have our girls, and everything will be okay... You are doing amazing... You are so tough..." I say to her running my hand through her hair. 

"What are they doing..." Vera whispers as a tear runs down her cheek. "I dont know gorgeous... I can't see..." I whisper and kiss her forehead again.  "I can feel them pulling on me..." She whispers and i cringe... "Does it hurt?" I ask worried. She shakes her head and i let out a little sigh of relief. I would hate for her to be in pain. It feels like it takes forever. "What is taking so long..." Vera whispers. "I dont know gorgeous..." I say as anxiety rises inside of me.