Chapter 16:

"Do you want to come with me?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure." Dean said, flashing me a smile. I smiled back and let his hand go.

"What did Sam spill about his shifter case?" I asked.

"He said he and Bobby were in Topeka and the locals were terrible to work with, the usual." Dean answered. I smiled, heading into the kitchen. Dean was unpacking and seasonings the meat.

"Don't forget the thyme." I called.

"Yeah, yeah." He said back.

"I'll fire up the grill." I said, picking up the charcoal from where he had placed it beside the island. I checked the pockets of Dean's flannel that I had stolen, finding a lighter in the pocket. I headed outside on the back porch, filling the grill. I looked back, seeing an old bottle of lighter fluid. I squirted some, drenching the charcoal. It was cold outside. I thought for a moment, it was December. The next month held Dean's birthday, January 24th. I wondered what I would get him. I felt my nipples harden as a breeze blew in. I lit the grill and silently wished I had put on a bra. Dean came out, carrying the meat on a pan. I grabbed a platter from inside, carrying it out to him. I pecked his cheek and hurried back inside to cook the rest of the meal. I left the back door propped open, not caring that it was cold. I just wanted to hear him talk to himself while he grilled. He was adorable and I was right. His hair was lustrous like Sam's. I chuckled to myself.

"What are you laughing about?" He asked.

"Nothing." I called back.

~~~

We finished cooking rather quickly. I looked in the mirror, smoothing my hair back into a ponytail. Dean was waiting in the living room. He had the TV on and was watching Westerns. I came up behind him, leaning over him. He looked up at me.

"You remind me of my grandpa." I said with a smirk, "He liked Westerns too." Dean smiled and I pecked his lips.

"You ready?" Dean asked. I nodded, climbing back down off the couch. Dean came over to me and I reached up, brushing back a strand of hair that had fallen over his forehead. I fixed his quiff before smoothing down the sides.

"Did you put on deodorant?" Dean rolled his eyes, "Do you know what deodorant is?" I asked. Dean laughed and wrapped an arm around my head in a headlock, forcing my face into his armpit. I struggled against him.

"You tell me! Did I put on deodorant?!" Dean asked, giving me a noogie for good measure. I let out a loud groan. Thankfully he had put on deodorant. Otherwise, I would probably be dead. Dean released me.

"I just did my hair, asshole!" I smoothed my hair down, taking out the ponytail holder. I shoved his shoulder and he laughed. "Get the freakin food, ass face." I said, turning and heading to the door. I shoved my wallet and keys into my pocket, hearing Dean following behind me. I looked down, seeing that he was in his gross work boots. I groaned, turning back to him. "Damn! Haven't you ever heard of church shoes?!" I asked, exasperatedly.

"We're going to church?" Dean asked.

"No, babe, it just means classy shoes." I said.

"Oh, then no." Dean answered, "You know me, you know I don't do classy."

"Come on, you're meeting my mother." Dean rolled his eyes.

"You already made me change into clean clothes." Dean answered. This was true, I made him change into clean clothes, fresh out of the dryer. I had also decided to put on a bra and a real coat. Dean wore his coat with a flannel underneath. I had washed neither.

"Fine, have it your way." I said. We headed out to my car, climbing in. I started it and pulled out of the driveway onto the road. I drove through the winding roads of the small town, pointing out different spots I remembered to Dean. He listened happily. He kept his hand on my thigh, squeezing it gently. I pulled up to the driveway of my family home.