Chapter 18:

"I'm so sorry." I said, placing my hand on Dean's leg. I felt him swapping between holding himself up and passing out into the seat.

"I- I'm okay-" Dean reassured me, placing his hand on mine. He was probably so loopy from the pain he forgot about our former conversation. I wasn't going to break the news again to him in this state. I parked the car in the closest spot to the door, getting out and limping to the other side of the car. I opened his door and took his arm, looping it around my shoulder.

"Come on, you can do this." I murmured, pulling him up. He groaned in pain and together we hobbled into the ER. "Please, help us!" I called out, "He got jumped!" A woman who looked oddly familiar was working the front desk, she stood immediately and got a wheelchair for Dean. He collapsed into it and I ran my fingers through his hair as he was rolled off deeper into the hospital. I felt tears spring from my eyes, I reached up to wipe them, but my ankle gave out underneath me. I fell but was caught by the nurse from before.

"You're hurt, what happened?" She asked.

"Fuck, rolled my ankle, it was broken a couple months ago." I explained, holding onto my leg and letting out a loud groan. She nodded and helped me into a wheelchair of my own. She pushed me through the doors that Dean was taken through only moments before. I was pushed into a room, probably to wait on a slot to open up for the x-ray machine. The nurse helped me onto the bed.

"What really happened?" She asked.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Come on, (Y/n)." I was confused for a moment at how she knew my name, but suddenly I placed her face.

"Lindsay?" I asked. She nodded. Lindsay was Sandra's daughter. "Last time I saw you, you were in the life and in college." I muttered, "What happened?"

"I got out enough to get my nursing degree." She said with a small smile, "I thought my hunter knowledge would let me help our cause." I nodded, "So what really happened?"

"Vamp nest went sideways." I said, "He went in alone and I fucked up my ankle getting him out." She nodded.

"Let me guess, sweet but dumb?" I chuckled.

"Not usually, but he was pissed off." I said, looking down at my lap.

"Why? If you don't mind my asking." Lindsay asked, taking a seat on the rolling stool.

"I- uh- I had to cut things off." I answered. She nodded, with a slight oh and I felt tears spring from my eyes again, "Would you mind checking on him?" I asked, "I need to know he's okay." Lindsay nodded and stood, opening the door and leaving me alone. I checked my pockets, looking for my phone. My hand found it, pulling it out and finding it to be shattered. I cursed under my breath. I needed to call Sam. I heard a quiet knock on the door. It opened, revealing Lindsay.

"It's time to x-ray your ankle." She said.

"How's Dean?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, I didn't have a chance to check." She answered, "But if you come with me, we might pass him in the hallway." I nodded and climbed off the bed, sitting in the wheelchair. Lindsay wheeled me out of the room and down the hallway. I caught a glimpse of a hospital bed up ahead.

"Is that him?" I asked.

"Yeah." Lindsay said quietly. "Hey, hold up, this is his fiance." Lindsay called, the nurses pushing Dean around, stopped momentarily. Lindsay wheeled me up to it hurriedly and I stood on my good foot, leaning over the bed.

"Is he okay?" I asked, searching his face. I reached up, tracing his jaw gently.

"He's sedated." One of the nurses murmured, "As far as we can tell he has a broken ankle, a broken knee and he's been shot in the shoulder."

"He also has relatively severe head trauma... but he will be okay." Said the other. I breathed a sigh of relief. I leaned over the hospital bed, pressing a gentle kiss into his forehead.

"We need to get you x-rayed." Lindsay reminded me. I nodded and lowered myself back into the wheelchair. I was so relieved that Dean was going to be okay. Lindsay wheeled me into the x-ray room and I sat on the table. She angled my ankle in the position she needed and quickly took the picture so as not to leave me in an abundance of pain. "As far as I can tell you just pulled a muscle." Lindsay assured me. I nodded and sat back in the wheelchair.

"Do you have a phone I can borrow? I need to call Dean's brother." Lindsay nodded as she came over.

"I'll lend you mine when we get you back in your room." She said.

"Can I be in the same room as Dean?" I asked.

"Yeah, as soon as we stabilise him." She assured me. I wiped my eyes as she wheeled me back into the room. I climbed up on the bed and Lindsay handed me her phone. I dialled Sam's number and it rang a few times before he picked up.

"Sam?" I asked.

"(Y/n)?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, look, Dean's been hurt bad." I explained, "He's going to be okay, but I think you and Bobby should cut your escapade short and get on the road ASAP."

"Yeah, okay, consider us already on our way." Sam answered, "What happened?"

"Vamp nest went sideways." I said, "The dipshit thought he could take on a giant nest on his own." I wasn't sure how to break the news that he and I weren't a thing anymore. Maybe I should keep it quiet so as not to draw suspicion.

"He always was overzealous." Sam said with a small chuckle. I laughed with him.

"Okay, I have to let you go." I murmured, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"Alright we'll be there in a few hours." Sam answered. I let him go and handed Lindsay back her phone. She once again left me alone in the room. I waited for either Sam and Bobby to get here or news on Dean, as I didn't know which would come first. I secretly hoped it was Sam, because if Dean came back and woke up, it would probably be awkward. I didn't know if he would be loopy enough to think we were still together, or if he would remember and it would be even more awkward. I ran my fingers through my hair, pushing it back and taking a deep breath as I stared up at the ceiling. I knew it would be forever before Sam and Bobby got here and it was more likely I would get stuck with an awkward sombre Dean first. I heard a knock at the door and it opened to reveal Lindsay.

"Are you supposed to be wearing a boot?" Lindsay asked.

"Yeah, I didn't have time to put it on before I left to save his ass." I said, flashing her a small smile. She nodded and left me again. My mind drifted back to Dean, thinking about how I could help him when he got out, how this sort of put a damper on my plans of going after the thing.