Chapter 23:

Will and I found nothing helpful at the house. I dropped Will back off at his Butcher shop and I grabbed Sam a coffee from starbucks. I also remembered to pick up a pie from the grocery store. I decided on apple pie, mostly because it was my favourite, but also because he didn't specify. I pulled into the driveway, getting out, cradling the pie and the coffee. I headed up to the door, unlocking it and heading inside. I didn't see anyone. I looked around, placing the pie and coffee down on the island. I went down the hallway, pulling out my gun. Dean's bedroom door was cracked, I pushed it open and gasped, seeing Dean laying on the bed beside his laptop with his dick in his hand. I nearly fell over trying to backpedal out of the room.

"Shit!" I said, covering my eyes, "Fuck, I'm so sorry, Dean!" My ears were met with the sound of laughter and a computer closing.

"Relax- it's not like it's something you haven't seen before." Dean said.

"I'm sorry!" I repeated, standing up and looking down at the ground, "I'll leave you alone- please continue- OR DON'T! Shit! Sorry-" I fumbled with my words, giving Dean a small wave and closing the door. I turned around, about to head out of the hallway when I remembered the pie. "Your pie is in the kitchen." I called, "Sorry again!" I left the man alone and saw Sam coming up from the basement. I brushed past him, but he caught my arm. I looked up at him nervously, afraid that he might try to make a move again.

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry." Sam said, looking down at me. I stared up into his eyes, staying silent as the tears welled up in my eyes again, "It should never have gone as far as it did." Sam murmured, "And I'm really sorry." I bit the inside of my cheek, pulling away from him and heading to the attic hatch. I pulled it down, and headed up, praying that he wouldn't follow me. I knew Sam meant the apology, but I was already on the verge of breaking down, and I didn't want anyone prying. I just needed to get them out. I headed up the ladder to my office, snatching my laptop and notebook from my desk and taking a seat on my futon. I wrapped my blanket around me and got to work. I researched the lore, trying to find anything new, but only finding the websites I had looked at last night. These kills were like nothing I'd ever seen before. There was so much rage, I would have guessed a vengeful spirit, but no dice. Nothing demonic, nothing. I decided to forget about the newer kills and focus on the old ones. Lana obviously found something- otherwise she wouldn't have been a target. I needed to work off of what Lana had at the time.

I decided to focus on the mine, looking into other deaths, other disappearances, anything that could point to something supernatural. I found nothing. I decided that I should go to the mine. It was too dangerous to take anyone else, so I would go alone. My house was warded and trapped to the nines so I hoped it would be enough to keep the boys safe while I was out. The best way to ditch them would be to leave tonight when they were both asleep. I looked up supernatural entities that were known to dwell in caves and mines. There were a lot, but nothing that matched. I was running out of ideas. I was no closer to figuring this out than I was years ago.

What kind of creature can just stop killing? That must mean it doesn't need to kill to eat. I cross referenced supernatural creatures that dwell in caves and mines that don't need to kill... there were still quite a few. This thing also seemed to be dwelling in a house, so that upped the number of things it could be. I jotted down my notes, it didn't need to kill- it chose to, and it could dwell in caves, mines, and houses. I looked up at the clock, it was 5:30. I needed to go downstairs and play nice until the boys went to bed. I didn't want to face Dean after breaking his heart... and walking in on him and I definitely didn't want to face Sam after sleeping with him.

Trying to keep them safe wasn't a viable excuse for hurting them in other ways. I just needed to hold it together long enough to make things a little better and get them somewhere safe. I knew Dean had to get better, but his recovery timeline only put him in more danger if he stayed with me. I needed to ship them off to Bobby's or something. Maybe I could buy their plane tickets or stuff them in boxes and send them to Bobby by Fedex or UPS. They're hearty boys, they'd survive the journey.