Chapter 5: Count On Me

=Mitch's POV=

The second I stepped out the front door to the school, I was slapped in the arm. "What took you so long?" It was Emma, my one and only friend. "Sorry. Mr. Winter held me back, and then I had a struggle at my locker." I said, and we started walking towards our houses. "Who'd you get for the English project?" I asked, memory not serving me. "Jamie." She said, rolling her eyes. "Ooh, ouch." I said. Jamie was her ex, back in freshman year before he became Dominic's friend. "Yeah, sucks. Who'd you get?" She asked. "Well, at first it was Dom..." I started. "Oh God. But..." She continued for me. "Then Mr. Winter grabbed me back and told me I was switching with Nick." I continued. "So who are you with now?" She asked. I looked away from her as I said "Jerome..." She grabbed my arm and stopped dead in her tracks. "No. No way!" She cheered. She knew I'd been crushing on Jerome forever. I knew she liked on one of Jerome's friends, Brandon. "Yeah. He invited me over tomorrow." I said, and she started walking again. "Dood! Do you know how amazing that is?!" She exclaimed. "Amazingly lucky." I said "Amazing all the same!" She was more excited about this than I was. "The only amazing thing in my life." I sighed. "Aw, Mitch. As soon as we graduate, you and me are away from all this. You know it, and it's only a few months away." she sling her arm over my shoulder. "Only a few months away." I repeated.

When the torment had started sophomore year, I actually had a couple friends. But they slowly fell away, not wanting to be associated with me. Except Emma. Emma was always there to help me deal with my life, from Dom to my father. I was there for her when her parents split, and she could barely handle herself.

You can count on me like 1,2,3 and I'll be there, and I know when I need it I can count on you like 4,3,2 and you'll be there, cause that's what friends are supposed to do, yeah

And if you ever forget how much you really mean to me, every day I will, remind you

You'll always have my shoulder when you cry, I'll never let go never say goodbye

Emma walked back to my house with me, us going back and forth about our crappy days. "Wanna come in?" I asked when we reached my front door. "Sure." she replied. "Momma Hughes won't mind?" She asked. "Nah, dood." I opened my front door and gestured her inside. "Thank you, you're such a gentleman." She said, stepping inside. I followed her in, and called out to my mom. "I'm home, Mom!" "I'm home too, Mom!" Emma called after me. "Hello, my children. How was school?" My mom asked, laughing, coming down the stairs into the living room. "Nothing too exciting, Momma." Emma collapsed on the couch. "Mitch had an exciting day though." She wiggled her eyebrows at me. "No, not really." I covered quick. "Oh, come on, Mitch! Tell her!" Emma cheered. "What's up, Mitchy?" My mom asked. Its not that I was secretive from my mom, it's just that she'd be over excited. She gets over excited about everything, even when it's nothing. "It's nothing, really." I said. "Lies! Mitch gets to work with the guy he likes for a school project!" Emma smiled, and my mom did too. "That's great, honey!" She said. "I can't wait for the Sunday. You guys better have a date arranged!" Emma laughed. "I bet he's a lovely boy, Mitchy. Good luck."

"Speaking of, Mitch." Emma said as my mom left the room again. "We have a boy to call." She grinned and jumped off the couch. "Em, not now-" "Yes now! I wanna witness it! Please, Mitch?" She begged, and slowly started pulling me towards my room. "Emma..." She gave me puppy dog eyes, trying to make me say yes. "Fine, fine." I smiled, and she ran up to my room, pulling me behind her. "Yes!" She cheered. She walked into my room and sat at my desk, legs folded under her. "Sit." She pointed to my bed. I obeyed, flopping down on my bed. "Phone." She demanded. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and held it up. "Good. Now text him." She said. "You're insane." I said as I unlocked my phone. "Yep." She laughed. I opened my contacts and clicked on the new one Jerome put in for himself. I tapped the 'message' button, and started to text him.

M- Hey Jerome, it's Mitch

He replied almost instantly.

J- Hi Mitch! What's up?
M- Just wondering what you wanted to do for tomorrow?
J- Call me, we can discuss it! I hate making plans over text.
M-Sure thing, one sec!

Emma was freaking out. "Omigod he wants you to call him! Call! Right now!" She was behind me now, leaning on my back so she could read over my shoulder. "Okay, okay!" I laughed, and shoved her off me. "Put it on speaker! I swear I'll be silent!" She pleaded. I dialed Jerome's number, and I hit the speaker button. Emma silently cheered, and then another voice came. "Hello?"

::A/N::
Heyo Rosebuds!! I've completed five chapters, woo! The Song of the chapter was Count On Me, by Bruno Mars. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed, and until next chapter, ~Rosie <3