Chapter 30: One Step At A Time

|Jerome's POV|

Preston left after I "kicked him out", and I didn't feel like going inside. Instead, I just pulled out my phone and slipped earbuds in and leaned back on the hammock, staring up at the cloudless sky, thinking about Preston's struggle with Rob.

Hurry up, and wait. So close, but so far away. Everything that you've always dreamed of, close enough for you to taste, but you just can't touch.

You wanna show the world but no one knows your name yet, wonder where when and how your gonna make it. You know you can, if you get the chance, but your face and the door keeps slamming.

Now you're feeling more and more frustrated, and you're getting all kinds impatient, we live and we learn

To take one step at a time, there's no need to rush. It's like learning to fly, or falling in love. It's gonna happen when it's supposed to happen, and we find a reason why, one step at a time.

You believe, and you doubt. You're confused, and got it all figured out. Everything, that you always dreamed of, could be yours, should be yours, would be yours, if they only knew

When you can't wait any longer, but there's no end in sight, it's the faith that makes your stronger, the only way we get there is one step at a time.

I didn't know how long I sat there until I felt weight plop down next to me. I glanced over at a smiling Emma. "Hey, Em! What's up?" I asked, a little surprised to see her. "Nothing. That's why I came." She answered. "Oh. Well, how may I help you?" I asked, sitting up so we both had enough room. "I dunno. I did have a question though." She started smirking, and I cautiously motioned for her to continue. "How you getting Mitch to Prom?"

"Honestly? I haven't thought about it at all." I answered. Her jaw dropped. "Guys do no thinking in advance. "Aceti, its in like... three weeks!" She exclaimed, calling me by my last name, as she often did now. "Yeah, I know, but that's still a little bit away." I argued. "Look, Aceti. You're the most popular guy in school. And no one knows your dating Mitch. If you don't ask someone, as in Mitch, the girls will ask you. And when you turn them down, the whole school is gonna get suspicious. And when you show up with Mitch on your arm, the jaws will drop." "Maybe that's good! Keep it a surprise until the night of the thing, but of course the Pack will know." I countered. "Well, that might work. But I'm willing to bet that if you don't make it public, you'll have at least three girls ask you." She said, eyebrows raised. "I'm willing to make that bet." I answered. "I bet less then three. Zero, one, two. You'll take three and up." I said, putting my hand out. She shook it. "You're on. But still, you actually have to get him to Prom. We hid most of junior Prom, always in the back. He adjusted well to the Pack, but he's not a social person, you know." She said, and I nodded. "I don't even remember seeing either if you at junior Prom." I commented. "We went together, as friends of course. We stayed away from the crowd, though." She answered. "Ah. Well, this year, we're gonna be dancing like there's no tomorrow. I'm a dancer." I wiggled my eyebrows, and she laughed. "Yep. Just like I'm a cheerleader. And Mitch is a soccer player." "Doesn't he hate soccer?"(A/N: idek if Mitch likes soccer or not XD we'll pretend he doesn't lol) I asked. "My point exactly." She said, and stood up. "Going so soon?" I asked. "No. Mitch told me that you happened to be a gamer. I wanna play." She grinned. "Okay. Whatcha wanna play?" I asked, standing up beside her and starting towards my house. "Anything I can beat you in." she answered. "That game doesn't exist, foolish child." I smirked. "Oh, please. I'll whoop you in anything." She said, waving a hand at me as if I was nothing. "Yeah right." I said as we walked into the basement, where my gaming stuff was. "You're on. Whatever's in the console." she said, picking up an Xbox controller and dropping on the couch. "I think it's Madden fifteen." I answered, picking up a controller and sitting next to her. "Perfect." She smirked, as the TV came to life. "Madden it is." I said as the home screen came up. She glanced at me quick, then back to the screen. "Game on."

--------------------

I ended up losing in the fourth quarter to her pick six, and that set her two pints ahead to win. "Yes! Patriots victory, come at me Aceti!" She cheered, jumping up as the clock hit its last few seconds. "Ugh. I can't believe I just lost to you. In my own game!" I sighed, throwing my hands up. "Dood. Madden is my game. The number of games I've played with my brother, you have no idea. And Patriots. Always. Win." She said with a grin. "B-But Seahawks!?" I fake cried. "Nah, mate. Pats all the way. New England love. Didn't you watch the last Super Bowl?" She taunted. "Well duh." I answered. "Patriots nation biotch." She smirked. I rolled my eyes and grinned. "Welp. I gotta head out. GG though." She said, holding out her hand. I shook it. "Until tomorrow?" I asked. "Indeed. Night Aceti." "Night Cath."

::A/N::
Idk of the song makes sense but I like it idk. Hope you all enjoyed and sorry this is late, I had a chorus concert! Thanks for all the love and support, and until next chapter, ~Rosie <3