Chapter 47: What Hurts The Most

|Jerome's POV|

Mitch came from Emma's room with tears streaming down his face. He came directly to me and I wrapped my arms tightly around him as he cried into my tee shirt. Emma's mom walked into the room, leaving the rest of us to wait.

Brandon was curled up in a chair in the corner of the waiting room, and Mat was by his side. Mat looked worse then Brandon, with hair in all directions and eyes dark red. Brandon just sat there, pale-faced and knees in his chest. Emily had her face buried in Meg's shoulder, while Hope rubbed her back. Victory was sitting beside Vikk, who was holding her hand as well as Lachlan's. Preston was beside Rob, just leaning on his shoulder while Rob stared off into space. Mitch and I stood, and I simply held him in my arms, as we waiting for something. I didn't know what we were waiting for exactly, but the atmosphere around us told me. Waiting for the official news.

------------------

Emma's door opened and Mrs. Cath stepped out, followed by a doctor. She talked to him for a moment, then walked towards all of us. We were all staring at her intently, and all she could do was nod before tears flowed from her eyes. Mitch let me go and ran over to her, softly embracing her as she cried. I looked down at me feet, not knowing what to do or say in reaction. One of my best friends just died.

I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house, that's don't bother me. I can take a few tears now and then, and just let them fall out. I'm not afraid to cry every once in a while, even though going on without you upsets me. there are dad every now and then when I pretend I'm okay, but that's not what gets me.

Mrs. Cath thanked all of us for everything, and we started to leave. I stayed as the others filed out, waiting for Mitch. He had pulled Mrs. Cath off privately to talk to her, I didn't know what it was about. When they came back, Mitch had more tears in his eyes, and I couldn't even try to read the expression on Mrs. Cath's face. "Ready, Biggums?" I asked quietly as Mitch took my hand. "Y-Yeah." He answered, and I started off. "Bye Mrs. Cath. I.... I'm sorry. I really am." I said over my shoulder as we walked away. "Me too." She mouthed, probably more to herself then to me.

What hurts the most, was being so close, and having so much to say, and watching you walk away, and never knowing what could've been, and not seeing that loving you is what I was trying to do.

Mitch and I slipped into my car and I started driving back to my house. I wanted to say something, but I had no idea what to say. What would you say to someone who just lost their best friend? "Jerome?" Mitch whispered, I barely heard him. "Yeah, buddy?" I asked. "C-Can I tell you s-something? P-Please don't be mad. Or t-tell the others." he stuttered, and I could tell e was trying not to cry again. "Sure. I won't be mad, don't worry." I assured him, and he nodded. "Promise?" He asked. "Of course." He sighed and took a deep breath. "T-The drunk that h-hit Emma... Was m-my f-father." he said as more tears rolled down his face. I took that in for a moment. Mitch's dad killed Emma? "Whoa." Was all I managed to say. "I'm sorry. Don't hate me, I didn't-" "Mitch, how could I hate you? You had nothing to do with this. It was that jackass drunk man who called himself your dad. None of us could've done anything." I cut off his apology, not like he needed to. "B-But it was my father." He said. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "This couldn't have been you. This couldn't have been any of us. Don't put any blame on you, okay?" I said, trying my best to comfort him. I knew he would still put the blame on himself, in the back of his mind. But I'd try to do my best to get it out. "I love you Mitch." "I love you too Jerome."

Switch: Mitch's POV

I turned away, staring out the window. I tried not to cry. I didn't want to cry. She told me to stay strong. But wen I thought about our best memories.... I couldn't stop.

It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go, but I'm doing it. it's hard for me to smile when I see our old friends and I'm alone, still harder. Getting up, getting dressed, living with this regret. But I know if I could do it over, I would trade give away all the words that I saved in my heart, that I left unspoken.

~~Flashback~~

"Hey!" A girl yelled with a small smile. I looked behind me, and when I saw there was no one, I pointed to myself. She started walking beside me. "Yes, you. Are you new here?" She asked. I nodded. "Welcome. My names Emma." She smiled and stuck out her hand. I shook it lightly. "I'm Mitchell. You can call me Mitch." I said. "Hello Mitch!" She said. I smiled. "Hi Emma."

<Still in flashback mode, but later!>

"Emma!" I called, searching for my missing best friend. "Emma, please!" I had checked everywhere I knew she would hide, except one place. Where I was going now. I opened the gate and walked into her back yard, staying to the side of the fence. I hit the edge of the fence and jumped it. "There you are, Rosie. I knew you'd be here." I said. Emma was on her knees, picking a few roses from the bushes. "Leave, Mitch. Please." Her voice broke, and I knelt down beside her. "C'mon, Em. Things will get better, I promise. You don't have to listen to their screaming anymore. They will both be happier." I said, trying to comfort her. "But I won't be! My father is moving across the country, Mitch!" She yelled, and threw her arms around me. "I'm sorry. I can't take this. Maybe if I was a better daughter, or did more things around the house, or was-" "Em, you couldn't have done anything to stop this. No one could." I said as I rubbed her back. "T-Thank you, Mitch. For always being there." She whispered, hugging me tighter. "You'll always have me, Em. I'm always here." I said with a smile. "Thank you." she answered. "Thank you."

~~Flashbacks Over~~

What hurts the most, was being so close, and having so much to say, and watching you walk away, and never knowing what could've been, and not seeing that loving you is what I was trying to do.

I started to silently sob again. I told her I'd always be here. But I never thought I'd be here without her.

::A/N::
I'm sorry I missed the past couple days. I'm still in school, life's been rough with my family and especially my friends. I'm gonna miss you. Anyway, I can't believe how amazing you guys are, putting up with me and stuff, even when I don't update. I'm forever grateful to each and every person who reads this. Yes, I'm talking to you. And you. When I posted chapter 46, this story was at 10k reads. As I post this, its at 13k. You're to good for me. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed, much love as always, and see you next chapter, ~Rosie <3

What Hurts The Most, By Rascal Flatts

P.S. My comments aren't working!!!! I can't comment or reply to yours. Im sorry! I love you guys! I still see all your comments! I promise!