Chapter 22: Home

=Mitch's POV=

I drove Emma's car back to my house, Jerome sitting quietly beside me. When we pulled into my driveway, I stopped the car, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. "What's wrong?" Jerome asked. "My mom is so gonna embarrass me..." I smiled. "Well, that's too bad for you. Let's go!" He opened his door and jumped out. I smiled at his energy, then followed.

We walked up my front steps, and I knocked on the door. I heard footsteps, and then the door opened. All blood drained from my face, and a feeling of terror washed over me. In front of us, was my father.

"Mitch!" He greeted. "H-Hi, dad." I choked. "C'mon in, son! Who's your friend?" He asked, stepping out of the doorway. "T-This is J-Jerome." I stuttered. "Jerome, that's m-my dad." Jerome could tell this was killing me. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Hughes." Jerome smiled at him. "You too, Jerome. Jen?" He called, yelling for my mom. "Yes?" She answered back. "Mitch and his friend are here!" He yelled. "Be right there!" She said. "Alright, baseballs on soon! Gotta watch the games!" My father said, turning and going to the living room. "Oh no. Oh, no no no." I said, feeling more color leave my face. "What? Are you okay?" Jerome asked quickly, grabbing my arm. "He always has too many beers during the games..." I sighed. Jerome nodded slowly. "Look, the thing with him is, he gets extremely drunk easily, gets... That way, and then passes out, never remembering. At least, acts like he doesn't, because the next day he wakes up like we're a happy family." I summed it up for Jerome. "Mitch, does he know about you... Being gay and all?" Jerome asked quietly. "Yes... Isn't as much of a fan as my mother, but-" "Mitchy!" My Mom's voice cut me off. I turned around to see her smiling as she walked towards us. "Hello Mitchy! How're you doing, sweetie?" She asked. "Great, mom." I said, a hint of sadness in my voice that I knew she could hear. "Mitch, I'm sorry. I really am, I didn't know he'd be home. And it's baseball. You two can leave if you want, we don't have to put your friend here through this on night one." She apologized. "Mrs. Hughes?" Jerome asked. "Hello, honey! So you're Mitch's boyfriend? It's very nice to meet you." She turned to him. "Same to you. I'm Jerome." He said, flashing that smile again. "Cute name, Jerome. Call me Jen." She said, smiling. "Mom, can I have a quick sec, of you don't mind, Jerome?" I asked, giving him an apologetic smile. "Of course, take all the time you need." He answered sweetly. I silently thanked him, and pulled my mom away a little.

"He sure seems nice, Mitchy!" She cheered. "Yeah, he's wonderful. But mom, he knows." I said, lowering my voice a bit. "About...?" She didn't get it. I sighed. "About dad!" I whispered. Her smile faded. "How?" She asked. "Friends ambushed us with water guns and I needed to change. Didn't think about it to much, and he saw me. That's why I'm in his clothes anyway." I explained, gesturing to the shorts and red and black checkered hoodie. "Oh." Was all she said. "Jerome knows what he's walking in to. If it gets bad, he knows we'll have to leave." I assured. "Okay." She answered, giving me a solid nod. "Thanks Mom. Love you." I said, hugging her. "You too, Mitchy."

<Skip: they are dinner and are watching baseball in the living room!>

Jerome and I sat on the couch beside my father, who was downing his third bottle, at least that we've seen. I shivered as he stood up, yelling something about the umpire on screen. When he slammed his fist on the coffee table I jumped, and Jerome pulled my closer towards him. He wrapped his arm around my waist, and I moved as close to him as I could. "Mitch, why are you so close to him?" My dad asked, turning around and sending me a strange look. "I... Uh...." I didn't have a reason that wouldn't screw us both over. Jerome slowly tried to pull his arm from around me without my father noticing, but he did. "And his arm is around you because...?" My dad took another large sip of his beer, finishing the bottle. I glanced nervously at Jerome, and he glanced back at me. "Say something? Us?" He whispered to me when my father turned for a quick second. I sighed. "Got it." I nodded. "I'm waiting for an answer...!?" My father said impatiently. "Because he's my boyfriend." I answered, as confidently as I could.