Chapter 10

-----------Percy's POV: -------------

I'd been out all day, ignoring Gabe of course while also trying to map the city in my head. If there was one thing, I learned from the labyrinth it was mental mapping. It was actually a great skill to have if utilized properly. 

The city was a lot larger and dirtier than I thought, with crime around every corner and the heavy clouds that hung in the air almost like constant ominous warnings. Not very pleasant reminders of where I was. 

The weekends were awful, so much worse than when I was in New York because at least there I could run away, get out of the city, as far away from Gabe as I could manage without having cops called after me for yet another man hunt. 

Without camp half-blood the world had become dangerous in more ways than one. Not only was I now ten times more prone to monster attacks but I was also forced to deal with gorgons and hell hounds. Though I admit I've yet to see one here and it was off putting. 

Of course, that had been earlier. When I'd gone on the walk I'd gotten a weird feeling, nothing harmful or scary, rather something like a mental notice from Iris. Someone had been calling me periodically, with increasing urgency as it seemed, so the moment I got in the house and dealed with Gabe carefully I ran up the stairs, barely passing into my room to grab one of my saved Drachmas before heading into the bathroom. Once inside I locked the door behind me and prayed that Gabe wouldn't suddenly feel the urge to go. 

I quickly threw the coin into the water, giving my message to Iris who immediately brought up a watery image in front of me, the outline of the image showing much clearer rainbows. Why? Well, I wasn't sure, not much was different, but I'd noticed it'd been happening a lot recently. Ever since mom... 

In any case, I wasn't sure why Iris was trying to do this, but I had to thank her, honestly it left me feeling more comfortable in all honesty. 

As the image in front of me cleared Annabeth's concerned yet smiling face appeared, her golden blonde hair was down around her shoulders, only half of it up in a bun. I couldn't help but stare in awe at her beauty before shaking myself from the thought, pushing it away as I tried to give my best smile in return. 

"Percy! Are you okay? Where are you? We were supposed to meet up this weekend." She said, her smile faltering occasionally as I watched her eyes rush around my background. Surely, she'd find the change of wall color and the newfound holes in the wall concerning. 

"Hey Beth, I'm okay, I'm in Gotham right now. Mom got relocated and we now live here, it's impeding my ability to travel to the camp, but I promise I'll find a way..."I had to find a way. I wanted to add but I figured trying to explain that would lead to a lot more trouble than I'm looking for. I tried to keep a smile but the reality of camp-half-blood not being available all the time was starting to weigh heavily, acting almost as if the sky had been placed right back on my shoulders. I swear I could feel the white streak coming back. I quickly twirled the previously snow-white hair between my fingers, noting the still raven color from my peripherals. 

Annabeth's brows furrowed slightly. "Perc, what's stressing you out?" Kids in the background of the call turned, their own looks turning to concern as they looked at me, obviously trying to not look obvious and yet failing terribly. The eyes on me didn't seem to be helping my case. 

"Nothing, it's just a lot of moving you know? New school and all." I laughed, but the laugh came out a lot more stressed than I'd prefer.  I looked back up to see a kid already whispering and suddenly I just wanted to place myself against the wall and curl into a ball. Annabeth looked back, spotting the kids who were looking. The sudden attention being brought to them caused them to turn quickly, fleeing the scene as if they were criminals on the run. 

"Percy..." Annabeth started, pursing her lips as her smile facade wore off and she let the concern ring true. "You can talk to me you know? Moving isn't easy and I understa-"

"I'm good Beth." I interjected, giving her a smile. "I'm just tired." I nodded as if that would give me credibility. "There's no need to worry!" Annabeth didn't look at all convinced. She was able to read me better than anyone I knew. I knew that she knew I wasn't actually fine, but I hoped she'd just take the plea and drop it. 

After a moment of silence Annabeth sighed and nodded. "I'll trust you on this Percy. Please though-" she looked over at me with the most convincing eyes I've ever seen, the feeling of spilling my guts to her sudden looked like a treasure compared to all my other ideas. "If anything, anything at all, were to be happening and you weren't happy with it, we need to know. We care about you; we can help you." She gave me a half smile and for a second, only a second, the idea of really telling Annabeth looked to be like a paradise. Being able to be with Annabeth, Grover, Blackjack, going to camp where I could have a fresh meal every day. The moment the second crossed, I shut it down. No way. 

I pushed the thought as far from me as possible. I'd just have to persevere. I'll leave in a couple years anyways. 

If I lived that long.

The thought flew through my mind faster than I could catch it, but I didn't dare linger on it. 

"Of course, Annie. You'll be the first to know if anything is happening, okay?" She seemed to be reassured by this, her smile reappearing. 

"So, how's your mom? The new place as well?" I let out a chuckle.

"Mom's doing good, and the new place...well it'll do for now." Annabeth nodded slightly, her smile staying planted. "But enough about me, how's camp? The building plans?" At the mention of her blueprints Annabeth seemed to have forgotten anything else, excitedly getting off her bed to grab the sheets before displaying them proudly, excitedly going over every little detail. 

I momentarily glanced towards the door, the lack of lights coming from the beneath the door leaving a residual awful feeling to pool in my gut, but I decided rather quickly that if something were to happen because I'd decided to listen to Annabeth then I'd be glad. At least I'd be defending something of my own." 

So, with a content smile and an ease growing in my shoulders I placed myself against the wall and began listening in, happy to hear what Annabeth had to say. 

Even though I had little to any idea of what half the words meant I was more than happy to listen, watching Annabeth in slight awe as she explained. 

Maybe I'd survive, if only for her. 

--------------------------------------

1215 words