Chapter 25

----------- 3 days after Percy left for camp----------
—————Damian's POV:—————
I got out of the car with ease, my body still aching from the days long mission I'd returned from. I was partially glad to be back to school.

I grabbed my backpacks straps as I began walking inside, if I walked quickly I'd get to class a bit early so I could wait for Percy. I admit, I felt bad.

I'd found out a lot about Percy with Bruce, including the cross country search held for her, the destruction of the arch, and her mysterious whereabouts during massive events. It was suspicious, and I was a bit angry she hadn't told me. But at this moment I didn't care about all that, I hadn't talked to her properly in over a week and I missed her.

I kept my steps quick as I weaved through the crowd, quickly ending up at the classroom I needed to be in. I walked by the teacher, ignoring her stare as I sat at my table and began bringing the things I needed out onto the desk. I looked over at where Percy usually sat, the space empty without her. I clenched my jaw and focused on getting my stuff out.

When everything was finished I made myself busy with writing, trying my best to ignore the way my attention jumped whenever the door opened. I already had an apology laid out in my head, one I'd had Johnathan check over. He seemed less interested in how my apology sounded and more concerned with the fact I was apologizing at all.

I waited a while until the bell rung and the teacher stood up, her checklist in hand as she went over the names of kids who were here. I felt my brows furrow as I looked around for Percy. She could've moved if she was that mad at me, if so I would need to vamp up my apology more but when I found no sign of her I felt my heart sink.

The teacher walked over to me when she called my name. She carefully laid her hand down on the table and leaned down to talk to me quietly, other kids quickly taking this opportunity to talk amongst themselves.

"Damain, you don't happen to know where Percy is do you?" I shook my head, my bad feeling growing.

"No, why?" I asked cautiously. The teacher sighed and looked down to her attendance sheet.

"She hasn't been here for a few days and she's missed quite a bit of material, as have you. You two seem close so I believed you would be the way to get in contact with her about missing work." I shook my head, my hand clenching around my pencil.

"No, I'm sorry. I don't know where she is or how to contact her." The teacher nodded and gave me a swift goodbye before collecting the attention of everyone in the class once more. Except for mine that is. I glanced over at the empty seat, the pushed in chair now much colder than moments before. I decided quickly I would go to her house after school and see what happened. I hoped quietly to myself that she was just sick. At least then I could apologize properly without any of the other kids nearby.

I nodded to myself as I began to write notes.

---------------------------

I walked to her house instead of going with Alfred. I figured I could pick up some snacks on the way, specifically the cookies she seemed to hold oh so dear.

So with convenience store bag in hand I trugged up the steps of her old apartment building and got to the room number I briefly remember her mentioning before she waved the room number away like it was unimportant. I walked over to the door, my nose scrunching at the smell of cigars from the nearby apartments.

I knocked swiftly, waiting for a moment as someone yelled from inside. It sounded like the man I'd heard in the principal's office.

"PERCYYY!! GET OVER HERE AND ANSWER THE DAMN DOOR!!" I admit I felt a bit of hatred for the voice, his tone was nothing short of hateful. I waited but no motions were made for the door. "PERCYYY!!" The man sounded drunk.