Chapter 26

—————— Percy's POV: ——————

I ate quickly, taking in large bites at a time in an effort my best to not be rude in front of Bruce and Alfred, although neither acknowledged my quick eating. They'd been quick to pull me away from the others. Alfred told me we needed to discuss living arrangements but despite needing to urgently talk to me about these arrangements he'd made time to stop and serve me some dinner, that being some of the best pasta and garlic bread I'd ever tasted.

"So Percy," Bruce started, my eyes going from my next bite to his eyes as I quickly chewed and swallowed, setting my fork down carefully and quickly wiping my face. "We wanted to tell you and get your opinion on where you will be living." I nodded, sparing one final glance at the delicious meal before focusing on the two sitting in front of me.

"Due to legal reasons, Alfred will be the one to adopt you," Bruce said.

"Master Bruce has too many children in the eyes of the law," Alfred said, pouring himself a glass of hot tea and offering me one as well. I politely declined as I waited for Bruce to continue.

"But since Alfred lives here most of the time and we're not comfortable with leaving you alone, I figure you can live here in one of our spare rooms. Of course, this doesn't mean you cannot personalize it, feel free to ask for paints or furniture. We'll be sure to get it to you in good time."

Bruce looked ready to be done with it but Alfred spoke up. "Master Todd also would like to request you live with him." I felt my eyes widen slightly as Alfred took a sip. "He's requested you live with him in his household."

Bruce cut me off before I could speak on the topic. "He lives out of town, she'll never make it to school!" Bruce urged, sounding frustrated like they'd talked about this before.

"I'm only bringing it up to Percy as he requested. She must also have a say in this." Alfred spoke calmly like he was trying to calm an angry dog.

Bruce sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose before looking back up at me, his hands clasping in front of him like he was talking business. "Jason also has requested you move in with him. He lives about an hour away from the manor meaning you would need to change your school to the district near him. It would require a lot more moving and it would be the two of you alone aside from on days when you would need to be here for inspections from the state."

I nodded slowly, allowing the information to sink in. Suddenly Annabeth and her plans with camp popped into mind. Hesitantly I spoke up. "Could I do a bit of both?" Bruce paused and began to think to himself. Alfred continued to sip on his tea lightly. I took this chance to continue eating though this time at a slower rate.

Bruce eventually looked over to Alfred, his voice low and quiet as he spoke, his words barely audible. "Go retrieve Jason please." Alfred nodded, standing up as he approached the door with a shocking silence. Even I was impressed with how quiet he was. With a sudden jolt Alfred opened the door, a slam sounding out as through the door I could see Jason on the ground, Tim being held up from falling by Dick, and Damian looking less than impressed with everyone else. I smiled to myself, the small scene in front of me easing my tension.

"Master Todd, Master Bruce requires you." Jason shooed him off and stood up, making quick eye contact with me as a look of embarrassment rolled over his expression. I couldn't help but smile brighter.

Alfred spoke quietly to the other boys, the rest of them wandering off, but I managed to sneak a wave to Damian before the doors were shut behind Alfred as he reapproached the table.

Jason looked partially excited as he sat beside Alfred on the opposite side of Bruce.

"Percy here would like to try to go between the living facilities, so I figure the only way to arrange this properly is with you here." Jason's eyes eased as he turned to me quickly, a smile filled with an emotion I couldn't quite describe on his face.

"Sure, sure, so how do we start this off?" Bruce collected his thoughts before speaking.

"Percy, I believe that going to the school you're already in will provide you with the best opportunities in the future. I also believe that it will allow the school to contact me with any information regarding you." He spoke to me as if I were the one who could choose where I went in the end.

I nodded, pretending like this truly mattered to me.

"Jason, what day would you have open to care for Percy?" Bruce asked quickly, leaning over to look at him.

Jason's smile dropped as he gained a more serious look. " I have just about any day open," he said quickly. Bruce nodded.

"I figure if we're to do this, the best opportunity we have to give Percy the best outlook of things is that during the weekdays Percy will spend her time here at the manor. This way you'll be able to hang out with your peers, go to any after-school activities, and we can attend anything of importance. Then, on Fridays, Jason can pick you up from school and the two of you can stay at his apartment both Friday and Saturday night then Sunday night Alfred can come to collect you and we shall start the process over. Of course, we can adjust based on schedule and convenience but I figure this can be the general outline. Is this agreeable to the both of you?" I glanced over at Jason, his eyes on me. The two of us watched each other for a moment before Jason nodded quickly.

"If it's okay with Percy, I'll happily take you on the weekend." Bruce turned to me and I nodded as well, my smile growing slightly as I did so. Bruce nodded swiftly, writing something on a piece of paper in front of him.

"Great, since we're already in the weekend we will start next weekend with this schedule. Until then Jason you can contact me about anything you'll need in order to make a suitable living place for Percy and Percy you can stay in your room tonight and then tomorrow you can go out and buy some furniture and clothes for your room and for Jason's house." I nodded quickly. "Good, then go ahead and finish eating and then Alfred will show you to your room. If you need anything don't be afraid to ask." With that, Bruce stood up and left, papers in hand. Jason gave me a wide smile.

"I promise, we will have the best time." I nodded slightly as he stood up. "Your favorite color is still blue right?" I nodded again and he gave me a thumbs up. "Great. I'll let you eat now. Sleep well okay?" I nodded as he turned and left leaving me with Alfred.

The room was quiet as I spoke. "Are you okay with adopting me?" I asked quietly, Alfred looked up from his tea and to me. His eyes held a kindness I'd only ever seen in Chiron's eyes. The question had been eating me up since Bruce said that the only reason he'd not adopted me was because of the law. I didn't want Alfred to be forced to take me on. "If you don't want to ad-"

"Percy, I am delighted you are in my care." Alfred gave me a warm smile as he placed his hands around his cup. "I will make sure to take the best care of you if you shall let me." I admit I felt a twinge of embarrassment at his statement. I could take care of myself and the thought of being cared for was foreign.

"I...I'll try. But only if you let me help you out as well. Somehow." Alfred smiled warmly and nodded.

"Alright." I gave him a bright smile as I turned back to the food.

"Your food is amazing by the way," I said before continuing to eat, this time at a normal pace.

Alfred chuckled as he continued to sip on his tea.

———————
1425 words