Chapter 12

------------Damien's POV: ------------

I knew when I'd brought the topic up with Bruce that it was going to be a rough topic of conversation. Bruce was obsessed with information, it was his life blood. It helped him to understand the world and thus become calmer in said world, but when things were unknown, they were dangerous, a way that could lead to the loss of someone within his world. 

The moment Percy's heritage became known to Bruce I watched as the light in his eyes flickered, the curiosity and discomfort both rising to fill in the blanks. 

"They're siblings?" he asked as if trying to see if he heard correctly, a glimmer of something crossing his face, maybe hope, maybe a prayer that I'd tried an attempt at an awful joke. 

Yeah no, I'm not Dick. 

"Yeah, step siblings. Jason's father had married Percy's mom a long time back, Jason was taken when his dad died and thus ended up here in Gotham." I said, looking down at the much emptier cup of tea. A part of me ached for more, wishing I had a tub of the liquid. 

Bruce looked into his cup once more, his face locking into it's usual unreadable pose, the gears hiding behind a curtain of calm. 

"Is there anything else you know?" He asked, his jaw clenching. 

I paused, taking a sip of the tea in order to buy myself some time to think. "I know she has an ugly man as a step father, maybe he's extra strict on her, but what I do know is that he was furious after that fight incident." I said confidently, not wishing to reveal her location. If Bruce really wanted to know I'm sure Alfred would give up the information in a heartbeat. "I also know that Jason adores Percy's mom. I..." I paused, wondering if I should say anything further on the topic ahead. 

I knew a bit more about the two's past thanks to Jason. Don't get me wrong, Jason was never my favorite, his constant nagging and mopey looks were enough to want to make you roll your eyes into the ground, but for me-no, for Percy I'd needed to know the information.

He'd told me a lot, dumping lots of memories that, coming from Jason, frankly seemed to...sweet, too nice to come from the edge lord himself. To normal. 

Then it bled into reality, the sweet turning sour as he explained what had happened the night his father died. Jason had always been vague about the subject, something that frustrated me to no end, but it made sense when he explained what happened. It was a brief explanation, the memory still rough based on his eye's haunted expression, but one thing had become clear. 

Percy was a victim in it all. Placed in the middle of life and death, three people to choose from, she'd ended out on top, the captor and the hero both dying in front of her, just in time for Jason and Percy's mom to run in and find the scene. 

It was a haunting thought that something like that could happen to someone like Percy, someone who seemed so carefree, so happy, so... unaffected. It almost made you wonder how she was able to handle it when you yourself had experienced so much of the same thing and yet you never seemed to be the same as before. 

Of course that didn't apply to me, I'd been anything but normal my whole life, being raised by assassins tended to do that to you. But compared to the others, to Dick and Jason and Tim, it was scary to see someone my age handle something of the subject so well. 

I shook the thought from my head, placing myself back in the scene, Bruce's prodding eyes picking and pulling away at my silence for an answer, a silent beg for information to feed his hunger. I let out a sigh of defeat, I'd rather him hear it from me then from the cops and a dug up police file. 

Like I said to Percy, money held power, even across state lines. 

"I know that Percy watched Jason's father die. She'd been the main witness in clarifying the murder" I mumbled, slightly picking up the fact that I wanted to hide this information in order to keep Percy away from Bruce, from his twisted ideas. Percy didn't need to be personally involved with us, a friend was good enough, close enough to keep in our life but far enough away that no one would dare target her.